The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rugs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rugs-58773/)

RedTree 07-03-2010 09:57 AM

Rugs?

This may sound stupid but I have been wondering this for ages.

What is a canvas rug used for?
I know there heavier then a summer and lighter then a winter but when excatly do you use them.
Are they waterproof?
What does it mean with unlined, lined?

And also with the felt like rugs, I think there the ones people win at shows. Are they just for show to say how awesome your horse is or are the designed to do something.

And one of my instructors once told me there was a rug which was good for putting on after a workout or watering down that helps dry them faster, does any one know what rug that is??

lol lots of questions Thanks to anyone that can help :-)

StormyBlues 07-03-2010 01:39 PM

Well, a canvas rug is probably used for just a lighter weight rug in the fall before you need the full on winter blankets.

A felt-like rug could be used as a liner, or maybe a cooling sheet. But most people don't use their winning blankets because, why ruin your prize?

A cooling or wick-away sheet is a GREAT thing to have! If you want your horse to dry more quickly, or to stay warm while their drying from a bath in cooler weather, the wick away sheet helps ALOT!

And a lined blanket has a liner in it, probably fleece or wool, to make it softer against the horse's skin

RedTree 07-04-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 679290)
A cooling or wick-away sheet is a GREAT thing to have! If you want your horse to dry more quickly, or to stay warm while their drying from a bath in cooler weather, the wick away sheet helps ALOT!

so there is such a rug lol, I may have to invest are they called wick away rugs?

speedy da fish 07-04-2010 07:36 AM

i have a rug for the same purpose it is not canvas material and it has no filling. it is just a waterproof sheet with lining that keeps him dry and also stops him fluffing up to much in the autumn. this means he wont sweat too much in the autumn and winter when i work him.

My Beau 07-04-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTree (Post 679952)
so there is such a rug lol, I may have to invest are they called wick away rugs?

They're called coolers or anti-sweat sheets :)

StormyBlues 07-04-2010 11:45 AM

^seriously, best things in the world!

And what you have speedy da fish sounds like a rain sheet. Those are great to have too.

wild_spot 07-04-2010 08:19 PM

Canvas rugs can be used for whatever you like. Many, many horses in Australia wear just a canvas as a winter rug - They are waterproof and tougher than most synthetic rugs.

I usually use a canvas inbetween seasons - I use a cotton in summer, then a canvas, and then in winter a big doona rug. I'll also use a canvas if i'm going to a show where it gets really cold at night but they aren't rugged for winter yet.

RedTree 07-05-2010 01:59 AM

thanks so much for everyones input these questions have been bugging me for ages I never actually relised there was a section for it :)