The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   A better turn.. (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/better-turn-58780/)

x Branded Heart x 07-03-2010 12:05 PM

A better turn..

Hey guys, just a question on turns on the haunches.
I don't know much about the technicalities of reining and such so I thought it would be best to bring this question to you all ;)

I'm teaching my little arab/morgan filly to turn on the haunches. And she is getting the basic idea of it, but I feel like I might be asking her wrong, or I might be missing something. I've also been using the fenceline as an exercise to reverse with a half turn on the haunches to the inside and that seems to be helping.
But my question is, how do YOU train for a clean turn on the haunches? How long does it take you to get it really down pat (I know its different for every horse but in general) ? What are your cues, signals, or voice commands if any? And teaching on the ground.. I just can't seem to get it! I feel like they aren't quite understanding what I'm asking..

Anyhoodle, If you could help me out that would be fantastic :)
Thanks for reading!

nrhareiner 07-03-2010 06:41 PM

First you need to remember that the turn is a forward movement. If you do not know and understand that you will really mess up the horse.

Best way to start is to get your horse moving every inch of its body. This is the start of everything with a reining horse. The horse also must know how to follow its nose. This is where a lot of people go wrong as they think a horse knows how do already do this and that is very fare from the truth. They follow their shoulder not their nose. Once you can do both of these things with your horse then start in walking a circle making it smaller and smaller and then ask the horse to move his shoulder over. This will get the horse to cross over in the front. Once you get once cross over walk out of the turn/circle and do it again. Once they are doing this well then go to 2 and 3 and so on. At this point do not worry about what the back feet are doing. You MUST get the front end correct first. The back will come.

SorrelHorse 07-03-2010 08:17 PM

Start on the ground. Nudge with your fingers where your foot would be, and when she crosses over with her front on the haunches, immediately release and tell her she did good. Gradually, ask for more steps. Everything you teach a horse is about pressure and release. Eventually, as you add more steps, you will get a full turn. When in the saddle, I only need to give my reiners one tap with my outside leg and then neck rein them into a spin. I click my tongue too, and say "whoa" at the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eliz 07-03-2010 09:32 PM

Are you talking about a rollback or a spin?

x Branded Heart x 07-03-2010 10:55 PM

Well the spin is what I'm going for, but for now I've started mainly with rollbacks using the fenceline as my pivot point (if that makes sense). Just doing a 180 reverse on the fenceline, with the front end coming inside.
I find it's really helping with her neck-reining training and making her, overall, better with moving off her hind end.
And thanks Sorrelhorse and nrhareiner. Apparently I've been doing it correctly :)
Although, it would really help you if you could explain some exercises for teaching them to follow their nose. And possible exercises for moving different parts of the body. I know what it is, and what you're talking about when you say it, but doing it is another story. And by exercises, i just mean thing I can work on with them, different tricks/techniques i can use and what cues or signals i should be giving.
Thanks a lot guys :)

Tasia 07-07-2010 07:08 PM

NRHAreiner beat me to it. Its a forward movement I dont know how many people I have seen whos horses suck back.

And if you have studied reining patterns if they say do four spins do five or six at home this way the horse isnt aticpating where he will stop.

addictedtoreining 08-09-2010 10:02 PM

Here is video of wife working on spins like mentioned above... This works well at the beginning of teaching a horse how to spin or working on keeping backend planted. Somethings I was working with my wife, was to push off a little harder out of turn/spin and make sure she keep the head tips in and down (like you would in a real spin).

x Branded Heart x 09-09-2010 10:02 PM

Thank you all. This is really helpful!!

Heartland 09-10-2010 09:45 PM

I use the same method NRHA reiner stated- just kind of corkscrew down to a single cross over, and move out of it. Keep your horse thinking that there is somewhere to go after the cross over. It helps keep forward momentum when doing an actual turn. Another thing my riding coach has me do is getting my mare to move off her shoulders. When riding in a straight line, I bring the outside rein to just in front of my belly botton *(so it lays across her neck and isn't pulled tight, but there isn't much slack in the rein). The inside rein comes in a little, too, but doesn't pull tight. My outside leg lays on my mare's side and she moves off of my leg and does a cross over. My coach says that it teaches her to stay in frame and will benefit later on down the road when we get to spins. She says it also helps on the diagonal in a trot (improves my mare's trot in general).

x Branded Heart x 09-12-2010 05:17 PM

Heartland- Thank you :)
I have been working on it with her using that technique and it's working :). She is quite a saucy little thing and used to hate it when I touched her with leg so I started a new exercise with her to teach her to listen to leg, and to differentiate between the areas I place my leg on her better.