The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Make a Mash Out of Cereal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/make-mash-out-cereal-58791/)

purplefoal 07-03-2010 12:56 PM

Make a Mash Out of Cereal?

Hi everyone!
I hope this is in the right category... it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

In our pantry we have a couple of boxes of stale granola... nobody wants to eat it. Can I feed a box of it to Ringo(the 26 yr old QH I lease for the summer) in a mash? I was thinking, boil it in warm water and give it to him.

Each box is about 5.25 cups.

It contains:
whole grain oats, sugar, crisp rice (rice, sugar, sea sald, malt), whole grain oat flower, sunflower oil, raisins, tapioca syrup, rice maltodextrin, roasted pumpkin seeds, molasses, dried cherries, dried cranberries, sea salt, soy lecithin, vanilla extract, and almonds.

Sounds yummy for a horse, right?? Is there anything in there that could hurt him or cause him to colic, or should I go ahead and boil a bag and feed it to him in a mash?

Thanks!!

purplefoal 07-03-2010 07:44 PM

Should I go ahead and feed it to him?

Eliz 07-03-2010 08:27 PM

Hm, maybe you could try it as a treat, but I wouldn't give it to the horse in large amounts.

loosie 07-05-2010 04:13 AM

I wouldn't feed this as a rule, but Eliz(is that a horse or a cow in your avatar??<G>) that it may be OK as a treat, so long as the horse isn't IR or anything. Horses don't cope well with starchy & sugary feeds(yes, I know cereal's a traditional horse feed) and it can lead to all sorts of issues.

macscootin 07-05-2010 12:53 PM

Id take the raisins, cranberrys and almonds out first. Treat yes, mash not a good idea. Too much sugar.

loosie 07-06-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macscootin (Post 681057)
Id take the raisins, cranberrys and almonds out first. Treat yes, mash not a good idea. Too much sugar.

Hmmm, raisins, cranberries, almonds.... sounds like a good treat for me and my horses!

Eliz 07-06-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 680823)
I wouldn't feed this as a rule, but Eliz(is that a horse or a cow in your avatar??<G>) that it may be OK as a treat, so long as the horse isn't IR or anything. Horses don't cope well with starchy & sugary feeds(yes, I know cereal's a traditional horse feed) and it can lead to all sorts of issues.

Lmao, horse. I should fix that xD