The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Swirls (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/swirls-58795/)

Madiera 07-03-2010 02:42 PM

Swirls

I recently viewed a you tube video by Chris Irwin w/ regards to swirls on the forehead in relation to a horse's personality. Has anyone else heard or read about this? Very interesting.

Scoutrider 07-03-2010 02:49 PM

I'll have to look up that video and take a look. Linda Tellington-Jones has some similar info that I read once. A simple circular swirl in the center of the forehead supposedly signifies an uncomplicated personality with few quirks, and an oblong swirl indicates a preference for human contact over other horses. That's all I remember without looking it up. I don't put a great deal of stock in it, but it's interesting to read about.

I also heard something once about neck swirls. The closer the neck swirl is to the withers, supposedly the more unpredictable the horse. My guy's swirl is up by his poll, and he's pretty unflappable, but a friend of mine has a mare whose swirl is in the lowest third of her crest, and it takes a cannon to wake her up sometimes. :lol:

Katana 07-03-2010 09:58 PM

Yeah I have heard of something about the whorls determining the nature of the horse too.... Wonder if Freckles on humans determines our natures too?

LoverofHorses 07-03-2010 10:04 PM

I read a article about whorls the other day. I don't know if I really believe it. One of our horses has a simple whorl in the middle of his forehead and he is just about the opposite of an uncomplicated personality.

smrobs 07-03-2010 10:16 PM

Here is a site with some info on them. Not a whole lot though.
Horsewyse Magazine - Around the Whorl

I do know that my Dad's horse Pokey has a double swirl in his forhead and an extraordinary number spread all over the rest of his body and he is a very complicated and sometimes unpredictable sonofagun.

A friend of mine used to have a book about the correlation between personality and the location and appearance of whorls but I cannot find what book it was.

Katana 07-03-2010 10:16 PM

Does anyone have a link to a website with details?

Madiera 07-04-2010 12:02 PM

Here's the youtube link...

Scoutrider 07-04-2010 12:29 PM

^That's very interesting! I've never heard quite that take on it before. I just dug through my old pics, and Mr. Irwin's analysis holds up ok for my guys.

Scout's is a smidge higher than his eyes and pretty geometric. I'd say he definitely focuses well, and is fairly aware.

His barn-mate, Rio, has a swirl that's at the eye-line, maybe a touch lower, and also pretty geometric. He's definitely duller than Scout, but he's a real busybody, always into things and making messes. He's also my bucket-pooper. :lol:

My first horse, Johnny, had a very oblong swirl, the low end about at eye-level, but extending way up toward his ears, almost jagged in outline. My dad often said that Johnny was ADHD. Pretty darn sensitive, always looking, tended to be more nervous.

Interesting stuff.

Cinnys Whinny 07-04-2010 01:04 PM

This is interesting, Cinny's is about an inch above his eyes and not spursed out, but not concentrated either. He can undo his knots, the gate, and I usually only have to show him something spooky once and then it's yesterdays news. He isn't always focused riding and it takes him a little bit to "get" something I am trying to teach him but once he figures out what I want it's no longer an issue.

But he swirl is off center, I wonder if it means HE is off center/balance. ha ha. He doesn't like to go counter clockwise that much lol.

smrobs 07-04-2010 07:52 PM

Huh, that video was interesting (though I was a bit put off by the horse's attitude LOL). Pretty much everything he mentioned works for my horses.

Here is a pic of Pokey's many swirls LOL.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1278283608

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1278283940