The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Clinicians [training or schooling] (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/clinicians-%5Btraining-schooling%5D-58806/)

spirithorse8 07-03-2010 05:26 PM

Clinicians [training or schooling]

Training is not a give and take dialogue between horse and rider.
Schooling "mandates" a give and take dialogue between horse and rider.

"When you make your horse submissive, you break the spirit, and when the spirit is broken, the flame of passion is darkened. Passion is the desire to perform, passion is the will be magnificant." (c) E. A. Buck 2010

When you ask yourself which clinician do I choose to partake of, one must ask themselves this:

Does the methodology presented 'train' the horse through submission, domination, physical and psychological control?

Does the methodology presented 'school' the horse through patience, lack of force, lack of domination, lack of submission, and with the least amount of physcial and psychological control?

Does the clinician use "tools" to actually "manipulate" the horse, or does the clinician use only his voice first and foremost, with the body only being an enforcement of the words?

In other words, does the clinician "actually" school the horse with total respect and "allow" the horse to demonstrate respect for the clinician?

Northern 07-03-2010 06:58 PM

Your description reminds me of Klaus Hempfling: no special tools, loose rein, care to give the horse a sense of freedom always, etc. He has successfully rehabilitated "incorrigibles", has a horsemanship school in Denmark, & few books/videos.

spirithorse8 07-03-2010 07:04 PM

Northern;

There are quite a few of us "quiet schoolers" out there in horserealm.
The problem is we are not STAR POWERED. I do not believe that any one of us "quiet schoolers" will ever lower our standard of integrity to become P.T. Barnums.

I do believe that within the next two or three years there will be an awakening occuring in horserealm and the numerous "quiet schoolers" will become those that are sought out be riders who sincerely seek to be horsemen and horsewomen, not just riders.

Madiera 07-06-2010 03:14 PM

Too bad for me! I'd love to see what you do so I can learn. If it weren't for "others" putting it out there on DVD I would have never known there is another way. NH did not come so "natural" to me. I learned it by watching others and am very grateful for those who shared. My horses would probably thank them as well.

Madiera 07-06-2010 03:15 PM

Too bad for me! I'd love to see what you do so I can learn. If it weren't for "others" putting it out there on DVD I would have never known there is another way. NH did not come so "natural" to me. I learned it by watching others and am very grateful for those who shared. My horses would probably thank them as well.[/QUOTE]

Madiera 07-06-2010 03:24 PM

Any idea how I can delete an accidental 2nd post. I apologize to the OP.

5cuetrain 07-07-2010 06:13 PM

Seems to me that by using the voice sets up a one way communication, no? Never met a horse who could talk.

Using body language, similar to Equus, would seem to establish a mutual language that both the human and the horse can participate in.

spirithorse8 07-07-2010 06:18 PM

Seems to me that by using the voice sets up a one way communication, no? Never met a horse who could talk.

Oh but they do and most of the time it is telepathical as is with most mammals.

Using body language, similar to Equus, would seem to establish a mutual language that both the human and the horse can participate in.

Body language is used second and verbal third.......................