The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   pros and cons (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/pros-cons-58832/)

boxer 07-04-2010 02:56 AM

pros and cons

Hi draft lovers :)

I love drafts too but am yet to own one. One day I would love to own a draft cross (in the next 5 years).

Anyway I'm wondering what you all think the pros and cons are of the various draft breeds and draft crosses. when compared to each other as I really don't know much about the differences between them all. I really love clydesdales and clydey crosses but also like percherons.

Katana 07-04-2010 03:00 AM

I LOVE my Shire's as a breed. I find them more 'athletic' than the clydesdales. Especially here in NZ

BUT I think you should go for what ever breed you like the best.

smrobs 07-04-2010 07:29 PM

The only drafts that I have any experience with at all are Percherons and Belgians. I do know that percherons tend to be just a little bit more 'up' than other breeds because they are one of the hotter blooded drafts. However, with the proper training, any draft breed can make a wonderful riding/driving partner. I have a QHxBelgian yearling and he has the most mellow, go with the flow attitude I have ever seen (him in my avatar).

ilyTango 07-04-2010 08:23 PM

Hmm...I wouldn't say that it's true for every horse, but drafts do tend to be a bit more chill and lower-energy than the lighter riding breeds, but that's a given. My dad has owned a few Perch crosses, and they're a bit more high strung than other drafts I've seen. Percherons are a bit rougher than the other heavy breeds, 'cause they're originally war horses and because they've got Arab blood. Though, Perches are also really hardy, and all the ones we've had have amazing stamina. I can't speak first-hand for any other breed, because my dealings with them are limited, but generally they're quiet, gentle horses.

azarni 07-05-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 680406)
I do know that percherons tend to be just a little bit more 'up' than other breeds because they are one of the hotter blooded drafts.

My first and only horse is a registered Percheron mare. Percherons have quite a bit of Arabian in them, and they've definitely kept some of that spirit. They are considered by many to be the most intelligent draft breed, and many use this intelligence in a way that would be considered to be "mischevious" or "clever". My girl knew exactly how to passive-agressively take advantage of inexperienced me when I first got her. For example, she would intentionally spook because 1) she didn't trust me, and 2) I would get scared and get off, and she'd get out of work.

However, I would NOT say that she is a mean or cold-hearted. Many people say she is one of the kindest horses they've encountered. A year later, our trust and respect is mutual, and I couldn't have a better riding partner. She is now bombproof on trails, and she'll tank up hills that I wouldn't trust other horses on. She'll go through anything, and she'll plow on longer than many of the Quarter Horses we ride with.

ilyTango 07-05-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azarni (Post 681433)
She is now bombproof on trails, and she'll tank up hills that I wouldn't trust other horses on. She'll go through anything, and she'll plow on longer than many of the Quarter Horses we ride with.

=D My favourite trait of the Percherons. They're SO strong, and they have so much endurance and stamina.

azarni 07-05-2010 09:20 PM

I completely agree! (:
And they'll give you 110% if they think you're worth it.

sullylvr 07-05-2010 09:29 PM

I've only had experience with a prech cross. He was pretty high strung and would spook on purpose to make me fall off. Hehe he was also pretty rude on the ground but I think more because he didn't know how strong he was that being mean. He's incredible when he gets worked hard everyday though and gets out of his headstrong habits
Posted via Mobile Device

Poco1220 07-05-2010 09:45 PM

A friend of mine breeds Suffolks. They don't get huge and tend to have hardworking personalities without being hot at all. I'm definetly a fan :)

TheLastUnicorn 07-06-2010 12:19 AM

I've worked with Percherons, Belgians and now own Clydesdales.

Of these three breeds, I like the Clydes best. I find them to athletic, not as big as Shires tend to get (height), they have flash and style. They outcross fairly well, and have great work ethics. I find them to be more energetic than any of the other drafts I've worked with, but still very sensible.