The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Help me with a show box (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-me-show-box-58849/)

artsyjenn 07-04-2010 11:02 AM

Help me with a show box

This is our first year showing, and we've just been to 2 shows. I've just sort of been grabbing grooming tools when we go to a show, and I always forget something. Also, there are things I'm sure that I don't even KNOW that I should have. Just learned that I should bring hairspray for mane flyaways for example. So I want to put together a grooming box that's just ready to go. Anyone have a good list of what I need to put in it?

StormyBlues 07-04-2010 12:29 PM

• curry comb
  • hard brush
  • medium brush
  • soft brush
  • face brush
  • hoof pick
  • glove with those nub like things (great for currying legs and faces!)
  • tail brush
  • mane comb
  • pulling comb
  • cloth for polishing
  • sweat scraper
  • Bot knife
  • sissors
  • detangler
  • hoof polish
  • fly spray
  • shine spray
  • shampoo
  • conditioner
  • sponges
  • clippers
  • braiding bands
  • braiding belt
  • those purple horse shaver thingy majigs
  • bailing twine!!!!!

MaggiStar 07-04-2010 12:49 PM

I wouldnt bring half as much as stormy says as i wash and plait at home so its only a matter of keeping them clean!

Body brush
Rubber and plastic curry home
Baby wipes(great to remove dust)
Hoof pick and hoof oil
Detangler
Spare plait bands or thread
Scissors
Fly spray
First aid kit
Travel tack wipes
Towel ti polish coat
Leave in shapoo for greys
Talcum powder for any white markings

That is all i bring the more you do at home the less you drag to a show and stress about

Carleen 07-04-2010 02:44 PM

MaggiStar hit the nail on the head with the travel tack wipes - those things are life savers!

artsyjenn 07-04-2010 04:05 PM

Thanks you guys!

Azale1 07-04-2010 10:59 PM

NO curry comb (brings up dirt that you are trying to hide ads twice the grooming time to get rid of dirt you bring up from under hair)
Stiff brush
Soft brush
2 Rags
Body Sponge
Face sponge
Baby oil
Baby powder (if any white)
Scissors
clippers
Hoof polish
Sandpaper (to scrub hooves with before applying polish)
hoofpick
mane tail comb
shapley's green spot remover (used mane and tail once and regretted it horribly)

artsyjenn 07-05-2010 09:00 AM

Our horses do have white, so baby powder is a great idea. Should I polish hooves at home or should we wait until we get to the show?

MaggiStar 07-05-2010 05:35 PM

polish just before you go into the arena just scrub them at home to make sure all the grit is gone

huntergirl84 07-07-2010 09:43 AM

don't forget a bucket too in case you need to bathe or touch up white areas. This isn't exactly a grooming tool, but kind of runs along the same idea---you may consider bringing a tail bag to keep your horse's tail clean, a "slinky" to keep your horse from rubbing braids out or to help keep the mane laying flat (really I don't worry about the slinky unless I'm braiding and even then if it's really hot, I just take my chances sometimes) and some folks will also bring coolers or anti-sweat sheets to have the horse wear until he goes in the ring, as it keeps the horse from getting manure stains in his stall. This is especially helpful if you have grey horses.

artsyjenn 07-07-2010 11:37 AM

We do the long running braid because I like to keep their manes long. I've never used a slinky before. Would the slinky keep that type of braid nice, or would it mess mess up when taking the slinky off? Not sure exactly how they work.
The horses we are showing are a palomino with white blaze/socks, and a brown and white pinto pony, so they both show lots of dirt easily!