The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   dusty pens (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/dusty-pens-58890/)

tcwildheart 07-04-2010 07:57 PM

dusty pens

I am wondering what you would do? My pens are really dusty. It is like talc powder, it poofs when ever a step is taken and it coats everything with a fine layer of dust. I sprinkle the pens daily once or twice to try and control some of the dust. It helps a little , but not enough. My vet suggested sand. I am not really comfortable with sand, but something needs to be done because the amount of dust these horses are breathing in is not heathy either. My vet has 6 in sand in her pens and uses sand clear monthly and feels it will be safe.

My Beau 07-04-2010 10:17 PM

If watering isn't helping, I would use sand, also. As long as you feed them up off of the ground, ingesting it shouldn't be a problem. And, like your vet said, you can use sand clear to purge their system of any they did manage to ingest.

waterbuggies 07-05-2010 02:04 PM

Here in Florida we've been getting rain, so this year knock on wood hasn't been to bad. If we don't get any rain for a few days its so hot that the ground drys out really quick. I have 3 drafts with XL feet so they can keep a cloud of dust going. I have sprinklers on my fence that I run daily for a hour or two to keep the dust down and my guys like to play in the sprinklers to keep cool. I have my sprinklers on a timer that I got a Lowes, it just screws into the waterhose and I can set it to run as often as I want and for as long as I want. If your ground is real dry it will take a lot of water in the begining but if you keep it up you can just water about every other day.

tcwildheart 07-06-2010 12:23 AM

I am going to give the sprinklers a try.
Thanks,
Terry