The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Someone's Getting A Horse Who's Not Ready. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/someones-getting-horse-whos-not-ready-58898/)

ChingazMyBoy 07-04-2010 11:17 PM

Someone's Getting A Horse Who's Not Ready.

A friend of mine is getting a horse, but she is completely not ready in NO shape or form. She's scared of Chinga.. For real. His so gental and caring towards people who have little experiance. Her riding isn't great. She can't even sit well at the walk, I get she is a beginner and needs to learn - I have no problem with this, its great shes learning. But how is she meant to exersize a horse correctly if she can't even trot correctly herself? How is she suppose to clean feet out, ect if she is scared? Shes NOT thinking logically on how every action we do affects our horses. She's willing to learn but she thinks she is sso much better then she actually is. When she rides she kicks and pulls, she balances on horses mouths, ect. I actually won't let her . Its not that I am trying to be mean but she can't do the bear basics so its going to ruin both her confidence, eect and a good horse. Should i try and teach her or what?
Posted via Mobile Device

kmdstar 07-04-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 680613)
Should i try and teach her or what?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you should try to advise her but if she doesn't want your advice, there's not much you can do.

ChingazMyBoy 07-04-2010 11:24 PM

Thanks. I'll do my best, she cant afford them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidji 07-04-2010 11:27 PM

Maddie, my first ever pony Jade taught me everything. She was a complete beginners pony, and she taught me how to w/t/c etc. This is what this girl needs. She needs a patience old school master.

Cat 07-04-2010 11:27 PM

We all had to start somewhere. If she is willing to learn - that is a whole lot better than some out there who have horses and think they know all when they don't know squat. The biggest thing is making sure she picks the correct horse to start with. If she finds a forgiving schoolmaster-type horse it may be a great learning experience for her. It should be an older horse who has many years and training and be very calm.

How big is Chinga? Maybe a smaller horse would be a good start for her? I know I get nervous around larger horses. I love my 14 hand haflinger and am very comfortable with him and find a lot of beginners are more comfortable with him due to his size. He is stocky enough to easily carry me but he doesn't tower over me. I am not comfortable with 16 or 17 hand horses that others seem to love. Just because a horse is gentle does not mean its not intimidating to a person just due to the shear size of it.

wild_spot 07-04-2010 11:30 PM

A begginer is afraid of a big TB who apparently turned vicious for a while after being beaten by strangers? I think she is perfectly normal to feel that way!

No one is EVER really prepared for their first horse. No amount of lessons or coaching can really do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChingazMyBoy 07-04-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidji (Post 680627)
Maddie, my first ever pony Jade taught me everything. She was a complete beginners pony, and she taught me how to w/t/c etc. This is what this girl needs. She needs a patience old school master.

But to pick out feet, ect. Is the basics you should already know. The stuff that effects the living and welfare of the horse. The type of stuff that ruins a horse. She's willing to learn but not at the same time. She takes part of your advice - the easy stuff. She wants the quick fix. She balances off a horses mouth, she shoves her feet threw stirrups. She can't bridle, saddle or even put a halter on. I think getting a horse to learn with is a great thing. But I also think there is a level of capability needed that involves caring for a horse. I'm glad she wants a horse and to come into the horse world. But she's not at a point where shes ready. She threw a tantrum at ME because I suggested getting someone thing older then an 8 year old. She needs something older thats seen the world.

wild_spot 07-04-2010 11:38 PM

You may not like this Maddie, but you are not the right person to be critizing or offering her advice. You are both minors, and in reality, you do not have a lot of experience either.

This is a matter for her parents. I assume they would be funding the horse. If she is willing to learn and her parents are willing to help her, then there is no reason she can't succeed, especially if she receives help and advice from knowledgable, OLDER, horse people.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChingazMyBoy 07-04-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 680643)
You may not like this Maddie, but you are not the right person to be critizing or offering her advice. You are both minors, and in reality, you do not have a lot of experience either.

This is a matter for her parents. I assume they would be funding the horse. If she is willing to learn and her parents are willing to help her, then there is no reason she can't succeed, especially if she receives help and advice from knowledgable, OLDER, horse people.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. I am learning myself. Hate to sound rude but she can't afford a horse, she doesn't have the patience, time, ect. Over the past few months I've had a reality check. Have grown up and become more mature. I've sent my horse off to training and its the best thing that ever happened to me. She has NO older, knowledgable people around her. As she cannot afford to have lessons - how is she meant to afford feed, farrier, ect for a horse?

ChingazMyBoy 07-04-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 680632)
A begginer is afraid of a big TB who apparently turned vicious for a while after being beaten by strangers? I think she is perfectly normal to feel that way!

No one is EVER really prepared for their first horse. No amount of lessons or coaching can really do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. BUT only spending about 8 hours with horses in her LIFE and shes meant to care for one 24/7. As for your first statement, this was resently (while I've had him in re-training with a very successful trainer whos turned him around 100% into a horse you can "trust" - of course he has a long way to go).