The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Can't decide :( (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/cant-decide-58903/)

Gidji 07-04-2010 11:54 PM

Can't decide :(

I really can't decide if I wanna go back to WP or not :( I love my dressage, I love jumping but I really miss just popping up into a nice show saddle and loping around.

And what makes it harder is I've found the perfect WP horse for me. I've already ridden this mare, shown this mare quite successfully because she was a friend of my old instructor and yeah. Red dun paint mare. Gorgeous little thing with the best nature. :? Kinda confused at the moment.

My current instructor is a very successful reiner and a previous dressager/jumper. He's super dooper experienced in both those fields but unfortunately isn't really into WP.

My old instructor no longer has her trusty lesson gelding, so she has no horses for me to ride. She only has her little 2yo's, yearlings, and weanlings. I really just want to show again :-|

The only other place where I can get WP lessons at isn't at all experienced, has a horrible instructor and I really don't like them. There lessons are pretty much pointless.

I'm not sure what to do. We're looking for a new horse, but only had a budget of around 6,000 roughly. But my dream WP horse is 10,000. I know if I got that horse or one like that I'd stay western, but truth is, its gonna be very hard to find one that cheap.

I don't know if I should tell my parents or my instructor. I'd feel so guilty for like changing instructors :( If that makes sense.

ChingazMyBoy 07-07-2010 04:52 AM

Speak to your parents about it they mightbe able to help you decide, but remember the overall choice is yours!

BTW - Horse chat!

PintoBean 07-10-2010 06:22 PM

maybe you could do both? There are hunter hack classes, and I've seen western pleasure horses do quite well. Overall, you have to decide which discipline you like the most. Do you prefer the relaxation and calm of western over the adrenaline of jumping? I know how it feels to switch trainers when you switch discipline, but if you are happier with one discipline then just go with it. I guess just go with your gut. Good Luck!

myponygizmo 07-14-2010 10:15 PM

Do what you want!

Gidji 07-15-2010 04:41 AM

Thanks guys. I've done a lot of thinking, pondering, soul searching etc and at the moment I'm leaning more towards focussing on my WP. Taking a break from it really made me realise how much I miss it.

myponygizmo 07-15-2010 08:17 AM

I agree with your current focus!!!

Gidget 07-15-2010 02:10 PM

You have some expensive WP horses over there! You can get great horses for really cheap here. You got to be aware of who lies though(from experience). $6,000 is a lot of money for a horse. I got mine for 2,000.

Anyways, why don't you do both? take a break from dressage and due WP and if you get tired and need a break from WP then you already know how to ride a different style and discipline. Try it out...some people also let you make payments if you put down money.

loveBradforever 10-11-2010 10:03 AM

ok for ChingazMyBoy, how posts do you have to have to get inside the Horse Chat?!? i would love to know!

Cowgirl101 10-18-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PintoBean (Post 686868)
maybe you could do both? There are hunter hack classes, and I've seen western pleasure horses do quite well. Overall, you have to decide which discipline you like the most. Do you prefer the relaxation and calm of western over the adrenaline of jumping? I know how it feels to switch trainers when you switch discipline, but if you are happier with one discipline then just go with it. I guess just go with your gut. Good Luck!

I have this mare and she was first barrel racing but soon I found she great jumper too.
So maybe both.
Just don't stress out yourself or the horse.

loveBradforever 10-18-2010 06:19 PM

Just like Cowgirl101 said. Never stress yourself out on a horse or about one.