The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Curious about other countrys (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/curious-about-other-countrys-5896/)

Vidaloco 02-08-2008 10:05 AM

Curious about other countrys

Do other countrys, Australia and the UK in particular have mexican and asian restaurants on every corner like here in the states? Since we have Mexico as a neighbor I figured we were the only ones privvy to tacos, enchiladas, burritos and all the other yummy mexican stuff. We have a large Korean, Laotian, Vietnamese population in our little town so we have lots of Asian goodies too. I love Tai food and we have a few great Lebanies restaurants too. I also love Kibe and Hummus and all the other great dishes I can't spell. Just curious :)

Kyani 02-08-2008 10:21 AM

Here it's more like Chinese and Indian akeaways/restaurants/buffets on every corner. Those two are most common, anyway - if you haven't got one of each you probably live in the middle of nowhere. :lol: The British are very well-versed in curries and chinese food.
And Donner Kebabs...not sure exactly where they're from...

Oh, and every other restaurant chain seems to be Italian food. Not so much an 'Italian restaurant', but stuff like Bella Italia, yanno - don't really count.

We are getting more and more Japanese places, particularly in London. It's usually the more metropolitan places where you see a greater variety, obviously. Turkish, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian...
You often get a restaurant serving several varieties of Asian food - one near me serves Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian and Thai.

As for Mexican, not so much. The popularity of it in the US probably is just due to proximity. We have some though - some chain restaurants and some not. Durham is not a big town, but I know of at least one of each. The main Mexican chain we have is called Chiquitos but I know there are others.

Vidaloco 02-08-2008 10:27 AM

I wish we had more Italian here. We mostly get the chains. In the larger citys there are some mom and pop places that are really good. but mostly its pizza chains.

Vidaloco 02-08-2008 12:35 PM

Funny the images we get stuck on about people in other countrys. I didn't know they drank coffee in England. For some reason I had a picture of everyone stopping what they are doing, whipping out their bone china teacups and saucers for tea time several times a day :lol: Meggymoo set me straight on that one.

Momo 02-08-2008 12:45 PM

here we have a lot of cajun restaurants (I am a southern gal) so we also have very many seafood places. We do have a few chinese places as well starting to crop up.

appylover31803 02-08-2008 01:07 PM

I'm out in sussex county, NJ and there's not a lot of variety around here. There are tons of italian places, mostly pizzerias tho. There's one chinese place that i know of near here, and no mexican. I did just move here less than a year, so i dont know the place too well.

Kyani 02-08-2008 01:37 PM

I'm also curious - are there not many Indian restaurants in the US? I never hear Americans talking about curry...

appylover31803 02-08-2008 02:55 PM

I'm sure in New York City there are a few. NYC has like every food place imaginable.

Vidaloco 02-08-2008 05:48 PM

I know there are few to none here in Kansas. When I lived near Detroit it was a little more common to see Indian restaurants. We don't get much Greek here either and I love Greek food. My mom lived in up state NY for a few years and always complained there were no Mexican food places. I guess it depends in what part of the country you are in. The closer to Mexico the more mexican food.

KANSAS_TWISTER 02-09-2008 12:55 PM

i know when i lived in montreal, that on any given street there was all sorts of restraunts, the odd thing about montreal is that is sort of cut up in to either based on religon or back round, so all the middle eastern restraunts where at the east end of the island or down town montreal....lol i would do any thing right now to go to a good greek restraunt !!!! the only thing i've been craving in the last week is chicken fried steak...lol....