The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Western hat

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  I Love Lane 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one. Any suggestions and advices are very welcome! :)

Is there such a thing as western "helmet"? Something like helmet "western-looking". I believe I heard somewhere about it, but have no idea what is that. :roll:

#2 ·
Troxel makes a sort of western style helmet called the Sierra (sp?) its basicly just a regular helmet with leather on the ourside so it looks a little more "westerny" I thought about getting one but then considered the cleaning issue and went with the Dakota. I like it a lot its pretty comfy but haven't worn it in the really warm months yet.
If you are talking western cowboy type hats I prefer a palm leaf hat that I can shape different ways according to my mood. They aren't as expensive as some and I can give Vida a drink from it on the trail and not feel bad about getting it wet. Since I have started wearing a helmet I need to figure some other way to get her a drink since they have holes in them :?

#3 ·
Thanks, Vida! I do talk about both, actually. Best would be to find western hat with some kinda protection, so it'd look western, but adds safety. May be just my dreams... Lol!

By palm leaf you mean this one?
http://www.atwoodhats.com/palmleaf.html

Do you know those palm ones are allowed at the shows as well? They state "western hat" in rules, but without details...

#5 ·
If you have trust in your horse, and became friends, you would not need that helmet
WHAT???? NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

REGARDLESS of how long you have known your horse, how much "trust" you have between you and the horse THEY ARE UNPREDICATBLE ANIMALS.

RIDING IS DANGEROUS.

WEAR A HELMET.

I have been riding for most of my life, and I ALWAYS wear a helmet, even if I'm riding some kid's gentle pony. Why? Because you can never be 100% sure what you horse is going to do. Something could happen, even as simple as the horse "popping" a fence or spooking at something - anything - and you could whack your head against their neck (concussion - believe me, been there, done that) or fall.

Even while grooming, it's a good idea. I never used to until just recently: a good friend of mine (an INTERNATIONAL dressage rider) just got seriously hurt because she was grooming the horse's legs, the horse spooked and whacked her on the head with its knee... she got knocked out and hasn't been able to ride since (happened about a month ago).

If you seriously think you and your horse have such a bond that enables you to not wear a helmet, get your head checked, I think it's already damaged.

I'm sorry.

#6 ·
kitten_Val said:
Thanks, Vida! I do talk about both, actually. Best would be to find western hat with some kinda protection, so it'd look western, but adds safety. May be just my dreams... Lol!

By palm leaf you mean this one?
http://www.atwoodhats.com/palmleaf.html

Do you know those palm ones are allowed at the shows as well? They state "western hat" in rules, but without details...
Yep, those are them. If you get tired of the shape you can wet them and reform them any way you want. I have one that looks like the Nevada (pg 4) but I reshaped the brim up for a more westrn look and added a stampede string.
I'm not sure about showing. I know I wear a wool felt hat in the winter and a palm straw in the summer. I can't see them not being allowed in show.

#7 ·
wiresalot said:
If you have trust in your horse, and became friends, you would not need that helmet.

I know Justdressageit already jumped on this, but want to add. A good friend of mine told me about one of the best horse trainers/cowboys he ever knew (and he is the best in my book) was training a horse to stand tied. The horse pulled back broke the brass lead clip which then came back and hit him in the head like a bullett. He now needs help being fed and will never recover. I wear my helmet from the time I walk out of the house till I put my saddle back in the tack room. I trust my horse with my life and she is my best animal friend, but thats why they call them accidents, they can happen at any time with no fault to horse or rider.

#11 ·
BluMagic said:
I don't wear a helmet...yet...because I am barely going to start English. But I think that wearing a helmet is very helpful, safe, and beneficial to riding. Unless I'm riding Western. Then I won't.....lol
why do you not wear a helmet when riding western and wear one while riding english? ???
just wondering :)

#12 ·
Wearing a helmet is a totally personal choice. Last time I fell off I hit my noggin a pretty good wack. Our area of the country has rocks just under the surface on the hills so I was lucky I didn't land on one. I just bought my helmet and have decided to wear it whenever I ride. I never wore one before, just my western hat but decided it was probably a good idea to go with a helmet since I was wearing a hat anyway. I recently had to have a skin cancer removed from my arm since I spend way to much time outside. The big hole in my arm is better than having one on my face, so best to wear some sort of hat (hopefully a helmet) and lots of sunscreen when you ride.

#13 ·
Yes, it is a very personal choice.

I just don't agree with the statement "If you have trust in your horse, and became friends, you would not need that helmet." It sounds just too.. I don't know.

I worked at a dude ranch for 6 months and didn't wear a helmet all the time, but now I realize that was dumb. I will always wear a helmet while riding from now on .... I have too much up in my noggin to get it all knocked out

#14 ·
back on the original posters question - try this site http://www.sheplers.com/hats/ they have alot of choice in all the different price brackets.

I like Resistol hats but that is a personal pref, no reason for it really. If you are going to show in it pick a middle to higher priced hat as you will find that the really cheap ones will warp in shape on the first hot day. :wink:

#15 ·
mell said:
BluMagic said:
I don't wear a helmet...yet...because I am barely going to start English. But I think that wearing a helmet is very helpful, safe, and beneficial to riding. Unless I'm riding Western. Then I won't.....lol
why do you not wear a helmet when riding western and wear one while riding english? ???
lol. Well I've never worn a helmet for anything really. Never for riding. I have always just worn a Western hat. I feel no need to wear a helmet unless I'm jumpin I guess. *shrug* :)

#16 ·
BluMagic said:
mell said:
BluMagic said:
lol. Well I've never worn a helmet for anything really. Never for riding. I have always just worn a Western hat. I feel no need to wear a helmet unless I'm jumpin I guess. *shrug* :)
oh ok :D

#17 ·
I havn't been using the helmet until very recently. However after my neighbor's (who is jumping and dressage rider) fall from her 20+ years old mare (who she rides for 17 years so far with lots of showing and trail riding experience), when she basically hit the head and lost the feeling of location and so on, I got one. She doesn't ride without one anymore as well. :) Since I'm riding western I just want something more "western-looking". Lol!

I agree with JustDressageIt. It's not about the trust (which I hopefully have). But you never know what can happen, and there are so many situations horse can spook etc. Or horse can simply fall (I had it in arena last year when my horse slipped on turn and we both fall).

#18 ·
I Love Lane said:
back on the original posters question - try this site http://www.sheplers.com/hats/ they have alot of choice in all the different price brackets.

I like Resistol hats but that is a personal pref, no reason for it really. If you are going to show in it pick a middle to higher priced hat as you will find that the really cheap ones will warp in shape on the first hot day. :wink:
Funny Sheplers is in Wichta, been there many times. They do have nice hats. My husband likes Bailey, they're good hats too.
Kitten, you might check locally for a good hat shop. We have a few that do personal fittings (sheplers is one) checking your face shape to get the right hat for you. If its for shows, you want to look good :wink:

#19 ·
I Love Lane, thanks for the website! I think leather ones are really cool!

#22 ·
But price.... :( I'll keep looking. If will find something like that UNDER $100, I'll post that. :)

#24 ·
If you will, let me know, please. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.