The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   "stallion like" gelding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stallion-like-gelding-59011/)

Oscarwild 07-06-2010 08:02 AM

"stallion like" gelding

Just wondering if anyone can suggest something that may help my gelding. He's currently 7 years old and was cut as a 4 year old. He seems to be slowing some stallion like behaviour and I wondered if there was anything I can do.

He's out in a herd with 6 other gelding and there is a field with mares and geldings near by. When the mare is the field my gelding spends all his time pacing up and down the fence line and eventually will settle and graze the fence line but he wont leave the area. He is a very dominant gelding and is boss in the field. When the rest of his herd comes near the mare he gets very aggressive and chases them away. Thankfully he isnt hurting any of them but he's getting a kicking from them. So I hoped that may make him stop but no it doesnt.

I noticed that his sheath also drips a clear liquid when he's around the mares inside or out.

2 years ago he was tested to see if he was a rig and he came back 100% gelded so I know being a rig isnt a issue. The reason for the test was because he was showing stallion like tendancies towards mares, mounting them and getting in it and having his way with them. He was very aggressive towards both mares and geldings and wouldnt let anyone near the mares. He was also a nightmare to handle too.

But so far I have his handling under control and he behaves while being lead. He has to come in during the day and be out at night due to a eye problem which keeps flairing up. I have tried many of supplements on offer and they havent done anything for him so I wondered if you guys knew on things I could try or should I talk to my vet and seek his advice. Because the supplements dont work would that suggest its a behaviour issue rather than a hormone issue?

Thanks for any advice you can give http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...es/biggrin.gif

Poco1220 07-06-2010 08:16 AM

You said he was gelded slightly late at 4 years old. Up until that time was he used for breeding? If so there's a chance he will remain this way since he has it instilled in his head what he's supposed to do.

Oscarwild 07-06-2010 08:21 AM

He was brought over to the uk fron Germany as a 3 year old as a stallion to be used for breeding but he had a accident which damaged his hocks and he was cut. So yes he did stand at stud before being gelded.

Curly_Horse_CMT 07-06-2010 11:17 AM

Is there any way that you could seperate him and work with him one-on-one? We have two geldings that are extremly studdish at times, and we have routinely been switching them out at intervals to be by themselves with our sheep and goats. Is he being ridden? Maybe having a job to focus on would help him?
Posted via Mobile Device

Poco1220 07-06-2010 12:38 PM

Ultimately there are some stallions who can breed all their life, be gelded, and will be fine in a group setting. And there are some stallions who can be bred only a few times and will always retain that stallion mindset and will never be safe in a herd setting.

When he was a stallion was he kept by himself or in a herd? Stallions kept alone from a young age don't know how to act in a herd and tend not to do well later on.

Indyhorse 07-06-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poco1220 (Post 682049)
Ultimately there are some stallions who can breed all their life, be gelded, and will be fine in a group setting. And there are some stallions who can be bred only a few times and will always retain that stallion mindset and will never be safe in a herd setting.

When he was a stallion was he kept by himself or in a herd? Stallions kept alone from a young age don't know how to act in a herd and tend not to do well later on.

^^This. Poco said it perfectly. I have owned several horses that were gelded late and previously used as stallions, including my current gelding Claymore who was gelded at the end of his 6th year. However, all those I have owned were always pastured with mares - it's an important distinction - the girls knock the guy around and keep him in line, so I have very little "studdy" behavior from my geldings. However, if the horse, as a stallion, was kept stalled and only hand-bred, you might be facing some deeply instilled behavior problems. They can be managed, but not fixed, in my experience.

Poco1220 07-06-2010 12:56 PM

My stallion is fine if turned out with mares, however the pushier the mare is the better he does since they do rule the ranks. If kept beside a herd of horses (mixed geldings/mares) for a couple months he can be safely turned out with them, however once he is out with them I cannot safely introduce any other horses to the herd without pulling him out and allowing a few months for that horse to become a part of the herd and then re introducing my stallion. This is something I'm aware or and learned to adjust to. If I were to turn a new mare out he is usually okay. However if he is content in a herd setting and I turn a gelding out he will severely injure it and I know this from experience.

Turning a stallion out with any other horse is a risk you have to decide yourself how you feel he will react, how you will handle the situation should it turn bad, and if you are willing to risk all lives involved.