The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mare at 341 days with confusing udders (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-341-days-confusing-udders-59013/)

opal06 07-06-2010 08:30 AM

Mare at 341 days with confusing udders

My mares 341 days into her pregnancy, she has been bagged up for 3 weeks the first week they got bigger day by day the by the end of the first week they increased massive and have stayed fully bagged up for 2 weeks (I have been doing regular night checks since then). She isn't running milk but when you squeeze the end of her teat you get a clear fluid that tastes salty but occasionally you get a yellowy thicker fluid which I know is colostrum, but, its still mainly clear. She has been looking very uncomfortable the past 48 hours. Any idea's?

PS its her second foal. Her first foal she had at 326 days, and she is 17 yrs old.

Thanks Gemma

lv2kyshowtrot 07-06-2010 02:28 PM

this helped me with my old horse's pregnancy;

I also have other links if this doesn't help.

Normal signs of behaviour prior to and including foaling in mares - Breeding and equine reproduction information and articles - Horsetalk

Indyhorse 07-06-2010 02:36 PM

Haha my mare put me through the wringer with her last foal. She was bagged and had yellow fluid at 300 days. She didn't foal until day 360.

The milk will turn a creamy white and be VERY thick and sticky - almost like the consistency of warm honey. The udder will be very full, and the teats will fill all the way in. In my mares case, her udder would always be softer in the morning, and very full at night (she was stalled at night and pastured during the day). It wasn't until the final week that her udder stayed tight and full around the clock.

As I always mention on these threads, last time around I had the best luck with testing the milk, it gave me the clearest indication of anything...and since her pregnancy drug on so long it was good to have at least one reliable indicator at the end!

opal06 07-06-2010 03:42 PM

My mares udders is hard 24/7 she lives out and im planning on foaling her out as she had her last one out and i just feel it more natural for them. I have a stable ready for her if she needs it once the foal decides to show itself. Her udders have been tight for 2 weeks, not gone down or up but i dont think they can get any bigger bless her.

How quickly did your mares milk change?

Indyhorse 07-06-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opal06 (Post 682290)
My mares udders is hard 24/7 she lives out and im planning on foaling her out as she had her last one out and i just feel it more natural for them. I have a stable ready for her if she needs it once the foal decides to show itself. Her udders have been tight for 2 weeks, not gone down or up but i dont think they can get any bigger bless her.

How quickly did your mares milk change?

When I was doing the milk testing, it started a slow rise in Calcium/fall in pH about 20-30 days prior, but less than 24 hours before she delivered, milk changed rapidly overnight - Calcuim jumped from around 3-400 up to 1000 ppm, and the pH bottomed out at 6.2 from 7.0 the night before. It was a definite, noticeable change.

opal06 07-06-2010 04:06 PM

Hopefully uploaded some pic

3 Attachment(s)
What do you think?

Indyhorse 07-06-2010 04:08 PM

Oh my god she's enormous *lol*

She sure looks very, very close! I'd be keeping up the several-times-a-night checks on her at this point - remember most horses foal in the late evening/very early am hours!

opal06 07-06-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyhorse (Post 682295)
When I was doing the milk testing, it started a slow rise in Calcium/fall in pH about 20-30 days prior, but less than 24 hours before she delivered, milk changed rapidly overnight - Calcuim jumped from around 3-400 up to 1000 ppm, and the pH bottomed out at 6.2 from 7.0 the night before. It was a definite, noticeable change.

I have uploaded some pic's, if u could take a look and let me no what you think that would be great.

Indyhorse 07-06-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opal06 (Post 682308)
I have uploaded some pic's, if u could take a look and let me no what you think that would be great.

I just did, see above ^^ :D

opal06 07-06-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyhorse (Post 682307)
Oh my god she's enormous *lol*

She sure looks very, very close! I'd be keeping up the several-times-a-night checks on her at this point - remember most horses foal in the late evening/very early am hours!

I have been doing regular night checks but sometime you get dis-heartened with all the checks and sleepless night, its nice to have a second opinion sometime. What do you think of her udder size? Sorry for all the questions