The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Miniature Donkey (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/miniature-donkey-59073/)

Liberty Valance 07-06-2010 10:36 PM

Miniature Donkey

Is there a behavioral difference between the sexes of miniature donkeys like there is with horses? I'm looking to get a miniature donkey or two just for a pet - not to breed or anything. I have 3 horses (2 geldings and 1 mare) and one of my geldings we think is proud cut...he's 15 & girl crazy. Would that make a difference in which sex of mini donkey I should shop for?

Also, I've seen a lot of pairs being sold that are mom and baby. Is that a pair that can stay together indefinitely or do they need to be separated eventually? (I don't think I'd want to spend the rest of my life with my kid in the same house. Eventually she's got to move out! lol)

Thanks!

ridergirl23 07-06-2010 10:39 PM

theres a sex behavioural difference between almost every animal. Its not just limited to horses.

The moms & babies can for sure stay together. theyre just like mini horses.

Brighteyes 07-06-2010 10:54 PM

Yes, there are differences in the behaviors of jennies and johns/jacks. Like a mare, jennies are more mareish (jenny-ish?). A donkey stallion (jack) behaves much like a horse stallion. Johns (donkey geldings) are usually just as calm and complacent as horse geldings.

If your gelding is proud cut, I recommend a jenny. If he is aggressive, we'll likely treat a jenny more kindly. If he got after a john, the poor thing would be beaten to a pulp. This is assuming he even recognizes the donkeys as equine. Some horses whom have never seen a donkey ignore them. I've heard a few cases of horses being overly aggressive towards donkeys, but I've never actually seen such a situation.

When placed in a herd with horses, donkeys tend to be very low on the social order and are somewhat picked up. This is no cause for alarm, but I do recommend feeding the donkeys in a separate pen, so they get enough food.

As far as keeping mom and baby together, I see no problem with this. Baby donkeys require the same handling as horse foals, so think twice if you just want them to be pets. You have to train the donkey foals to pick up feet, lead, load into a trailer, etc, just as you would with a horse.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :D

Liberty Valance 07-06-2010 11:39 PM

I have a lot of experience in riding & training "normal" horses, but the whole "mini" thing is new for me. I didn't know how similar or different donkey's are to horses. My daughter and I have every intention of handling the donkey(s) and training them...probably treating it more like a dog than a horse. Our horses are police horses and they go to a lot of public relations events, not just law enforcement. I think it'd be cool for the kids to have the little donkey go with us when we do show & tells and meet/greet.

It/they would have it's own pasture and barn. Our pasture is divided into 3 smaller pastures and a turnout area for bad weather. They come and go from the barn as they please, but the turnout can get pretty sloppy...too much for a little guy. We have a llama, too, but he likes everybody

Brighteyes 07-07-2010 12:10 AM

Donkeys are very different than horses. The two are barely comparable. If you treat them like a horse or a dog, you're destined for trouble. I could go on all day explaining differences, but you may not want to hear me rambling. :P If you do though, I'd be more than happy.

You could buy a nice little driving donk and take him along with your police horses. I think that little donkeys hitched to little carts being driven by kids with tiny driving whips is the cutest thing on earth. :D

They're great creatures and will attract a lot of attention. Your daughter will be very proud to own such popular little critters.

aandbminis 07-07-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberty Valance (Post 682778)
Is there a behavioral difference between the sexes of miniature donkeys like there is with horses? I'm looking to get a miniature donkey or two just for a pet - not to breed or anything. I have 3 horses (2 geldings and 1 mare) and one of my geldings we think is proud cut...he's 15 & girl crazy. Would that make a difference in which sex of mini donkey I should shop for?

Also, I've seen a lot of pairs being sold that are mom and baby. Is that a pair that can stay together indefinitely or do they need to be separated eventually? (I don't think I'd want to spend the rest of my life with my kid in the same house. Eventually she's got to move out! lol)

Thanks!

don't know anything about mini donkeys. But I do have a 23 year old mini mare and her 11 year old daughter. I know a lot of people with mother/daughter in the same herd it's fine. You of course would have to wean the baby when it's time but could put the baby back in the herd with the mother afterwords. I wouldn't put a colt back in with the mother until he is gelded. Hope that helps

GraciesMom 07-07-2010 01:30 PM

We havea four year old gelding donkey and he is with our mare with no problem. The same thing as with horses, if you aren't planning on breeding your jack, geld him. You will be much happier you did.

Liberty Valance 07-07-2010 09:30 PM

Thanks! That helps. :D

Liberty Valance 07-10-2010 07:55 PM

next question...

I have another question:

Is there an age that's too old for a mini donkey to be purchased? - I mean, do they have an age at which it would become more difficult to teach? I found a listing for a 5 yr old, and from his pictures he's one of the nicest looking that I've seen so far, but I haven't gone to see him in person yet. He's a little far away, but his price is nice and they say he's friendly (but I generally don't believe what any seller tells me).

Everybody lists their boys as "Jacks" - does that mean they're all not gelded? If he's not gelded, is 5 getting too late to geld (I really don't want to deal with stallion issues after he's gelded...already have 1 guy to deal with like that).

And this may be something to laugh about later, but what would you think about a mini donkey named "Legs"? Kinda makes me not wanna go see that one. lol