The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I think I have things figured out (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-think-i-have-things-figured-59084/)

drafts4ever 07-07-2010 12:10 AM

I think I have things figured out

I think I have things figured out for Sampson. I'm going to keep him and care lease him out. I have him on craigslist in the pet section and in the farm and garden. I also posted him on horsetopia.com, equine.com, equinehits.com, and dreamhorse.com, draftsforsale.com, bestequine.com. I couldn't think of anymore sites so if anyone can suggest another one let me know please.

I have a general description on him and it says please contact to meet or if there are any other questions. What I'm asking is either a half lease or full lease.
Full lease: Lessee covers board and half of routine vet costs. I will cover extra costs and shoes. Sampson must stay at the barn I have him at since I'm not comfortable with letting him go somewhere else, he's been tossed around too much. Lessee can ride up to 5 days a week.
Half Lease: Covers half board and half of routine vet costs. Can ride up to 3 days a week. Sampson stays at the barn I have him at.

Leases are only open to a confident intermediate to experienced rider who has the ability to be soft on his mouth and guide him patiently because he's easily confused.

I've been contacted only once so far by a girl kind of in the area that might be interested but I haven't heard back from her yet. She seemed like a really sweet girl so I'm hoping she'll write me back.

Kevin is pretty pissed he's not allowed to see Sampson anymore. I told him for what he did I can't forgive him for it and that he'll have to find a different trainer for his riding lessons, he's not welcome at the barn anymore. My trainer agreed and after I told him he of course called her and she backed me up completely. She said at first it was a business deal that he didn't follow through on and since he wasn't paying me for lessons and wasn't covering board he had no reason to be coming out to the barn anymore unless he was invited. She said she would love to have him as a client if he could be mature around the other clients and horses and if was willing to pay a lesson fee to learn how to ride but other than that he shouldn't come out unless invited. Her dad said that his immaturity was unnecessary and since he wasn't a paying client it wouldn't be wrong to tell him he wasn't welcome back unless invited. :shock: He's not happy but he dug himself his own hole and jumped into it so I guess it's slowly working it's way out.

I feel stupid for helping him out in the first place but at least Sampson is in a good place now with good people to work with him. I got him to canter last week and it's huge and very uneven but he can do it. We're going to stick to the trotting for now but he's getting better every day!

AlmostThere 07-07-2010 12:33 AM

Just some things I'm curious about:

On the full lease option - does Sampson need two days off a week or are you still planing on riding him one day a week, thus the restriction of only riding five days a week? I always thought a full lease implied pretty much full access to the horse by the person leasing - of course, you can write your contracts any way you like, just wondering :D.

Good luck getting him leased out.

drafts4ever 07-07-2010 02:15 AM

Right now his two days off the vet says are pretty important so he can go out to pasture all day without interruptions. She said to limit his under saddle work to 30 minutes until his weight gets better and after that we can up it to 45 minutes.
It's a bit restricting but I'm trying to do what's best for him.