The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   so if i geld him will he loose his beautiful mane and tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/so-if-i-geld-him-will-59096/)

cowgirlfromoz 07-07-2010 07:09 AM

so if i geld him will he loose his beautiful mane and tail?

my friend/acquaintance commented on his beautiful mane and tail the other day. then said well stallions always have that.

I know / been told that stallions seem to have a 'presence'

will that go if i geld him? he is 11 going on 12 yo. he is gorgeous, hes a mini.

not to long after he commented on his 'beauty' did he start talking about gelding him so i could do more stuff with him.
also thinking of getting a mare next door (with electric tape in between. or a gap.) and he said yeah well that wouldn't work when she comes in season...

so what would happen if I geld him or don't.

wasn't really sure where to post but thought here would be best.

thanks everyone

dee 07-07-2010 08:44 AM

I never heard of a horse's mane and tail being affected by gelding. He may be less inclined to flaunt them after being gelded, but they won't fall out.

CheyAut 07-07-2010 08:51 AM

LOL your friend is crazy ;) I could show you the crazy long manes and tails on my geldings, they don't loose that from gelding! Geld him, he'll be happier, you'll be happier, everyone will be happier :)

Starlet 07-07-2010 09:03 AM

I'm almost certain that his hair won't be affected by neutering.

Speed Racer 07-07-2010 09:05 AM

My 12 y/o Arabian gelding has the longest, thickest mane and tail of any horse I know.

Gelding has nothing to do with hair growth in horses.

Eastowest 07-07-2010 10:06 AM

I can show you many stallions with very unremarkable manes and tails as well. :lol:.

I think some of the reason people connect luxurious hair to stallions (at least in some breeds) is that many stallions you see are shown and promoted, and their beauty (mane and tail, coat, muscling, fitness, etc.) is cultivated and preserved in order to show their best, lok their best in photos, and get breedings. Not so much with geldings. Doesn't mean geldings are any less able to grow a great mane-- but they are more often allowed to be horses out in the pasture and that doesn't help keep up those Fabio looks.

westonsma 07-07-2010 10:17 AM

Gelding later in life, like at age 12, can be an attitude change for some. Others will still act "proud"... Hence the term "proud-cut."

It would be smart on your part because you'll be able to do more with him, but he may still try to get through the fence to the mare. Remember too, it can take sometimes up to a year or more for a gelding to be completely sterile after neutering. If you're not particularly interested in breeding him, there's no harm in gelding. And I have never seen a mini with a bad mane and tail!!
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 07-07-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westonsma (Post 683116)
Gelding later in life, like at age 12, can be an attitude change for some. Others will still act "proud"... Hence the term "proud-cut."

Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry - proud cut is a term used when only the external testicles are rmoved and not all of the testicular and epididymus tissue from the horse, and the horse continues to produce a high level of androgens because of it.

TheLastUnicorn 07-07-2010 11:37 AM

mls is correct. The term "proud cut" refers to a stallion who was not "completely" gelded. Many geldings who have had everything removed will still act "studdy" - I have a theory that it has more to do with the horse's personality than it does gelding late.

I've gelded (well, I had a vet do the actual gelding LOL) 2 mature breeding stallions - one was totally uninterested in mares afterwards... the other is attached to SOME mares (where he'll go through just about anything to be with them) but not others.

I've also gelded two unbred colts - one has never had any "studdy" behavior (not prior to gelding not after)... the other was still quite studdy in many ways.

The thing about gelding is - it doesn't change how the male horse is "programmed" to behave, it just reduces the urge to behave that way and it eliminates the chances of him siring a foal.

We have a late gelded small pony here (10hh)... a very hairy little dude (about 2 1/2 feet of mane and a tail that touches the ground). He STILL tries to mount any mare in heat (which is quite comical when he's in with the 15.2+hh mares). He was completely gelded (everything removed)... but he has retained his "belief" that he's still a complete man LOL.

and to the OP's question No. Gelding will not affect the hair growth on your horse.

It will only reduce his drive to breed.

Hevonen 07-08-2010 10:11 AM

I don't think being a stud effects this lushness of his mane and tail. We have a gelding with super thick mane and tail.