The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Tight turns - inside or outside? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/tight-turns-inside-outside-59101/)

icreatedseth 07-07-2010 08:21 AM

Tight turns - inside or outside?

Well, I've gotten completely opposite advice from two different professionals and now I'm confused.

When I first took lessons in November of 09, my teacher told me that to make a tight turn, you rein your horse to whatever direction you're going (it probably doesn't matter whether it's neck reining or direct reining, as long as the horse actually turns...), and tuck your INSIDE leg into the horse's side so that his hindquarters will move away from the pressure.

That always worked for me, and makes the most sense when I think about it.

But, at the trail-riding ranch where I work, I'm now being told I should apply pressure with my OUTSIDE leg, because when you make a tight turn you're not engaging the hindquarters at all, and tapping them on the outside of the turn encourages them to complete it -- but isn't that how you side-pass?

So, for the sake of me not getting yelled at by my trail boss, I'd like to clear this up. Which side is correct? Is there a technique to the outside leg that I'm not understanding that makes it a better choice?

Also, we have a trainer who comes out to work with our 3-year-old filly a couple times a week, and in watching her do tight turns on the property, I can clearly see she's using her INSIDE leg to help the filly turn.

nrhareiner 07-07-2010 09:53 AM

You need to use your outside leg. You want the shoulder to move over and turn over the hocks. If you put your inside leg on the horse and mover the hip over you are disengaging the rear and the horse is pulling himself around the turn. NOT GOOD. You want the horse driving from the rear in just about every thing they do. Now having a horse who will give to pressure not matter what or where is a good thing, however you need to use the correct cues for the given task.

Spyder 07-07-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 683098)
You need to use your outside leg. You want the shoulder to move over and turn over the hocks. If you put your inside leg on the horse and mover the hip over you are disengaging the rear and the horse is pulling himself around the turn. NOT GOOD. You want the horse driving from the rear in just about every thing they do. Now having a horse who will give to pressure not matter what or where is a good thing, however you need to use the correct cues for the given task.

Absolutly right and applies to English or western.

Using the inside foot is a what I call a basic/beginner stage usage. When you understand what you are doing and what the horse is doing you will use more advanced aids and it WILL be the outside, not the inside.

icreatedseth 07-08-2010 12:32 AM

Ah, I see.

It always helps to know the "why" of things, rather than just "because it's the right way to do it".

Thanks you guys. :)