The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Update on Conklin dairy abuse case (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/update-conklin-dairy-abuse-case-59127/)

mls 07-07-2010 01:14 PM

Update on Conklin dairy abuse case

No charges for Ohio farm owner in cow abuse case - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Alwaysbehind 07-07-2010 01:17 PM

Since I have not seen the whole video I will have to trust the jury made the correct decision with what they were presented. I am glad to read that the employees were charged/fired.

TaMMa89 07-07-2010 01:28 PM

Agree^^.

JumpsxGlory 07-07-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Phillips said the grand jury also considered charges against another farm employee, the undercover worker who made the video, and Mercy for Animals officials, but decided there wasn't enough evidence. Phillips said the abuse allegations should have been reported immediately to authorities

Why would the charge the person who took the video? Isn't that what brought this all to light?

Alwaysbehind 07-07-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpsxGlory (Post 683761)

Why would the charge the person who took the video? Isn't that what brought this all to light?

Because sometimes the animal rights activists are not as innocent as just holding the camera. Sometimes they encourage bad behavior so they can get it on tape.

mls 07-07-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpsxGlory (Post 683761)

He didn't go to the authorities. The organization riled up the public first.

JumpsxGlory 07-07-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 683765)
Because sometimes the animal rights activists are not as innocent as just holding the camera. Sometimes they encourage bad behavior so they can get it on tape.

Ohhh!! Well if they did that then SHAME ON THEM. But thank goodness the workers were fired :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 683767)
He didn't go to the authorities. The organization riled up the public first.

That makes sense

Speed Racer 07-07-2010 04:18 PM

Hmmm, I read the article.

It said that the judge, jury, and vets viewed the unedited tape and could find no evidence of abuse by Mr. Conklin or members of his family.

Apparently, the person making the video may have been responsible for some of the attacks on the animals, and the video was edited in such a way as to make it look like an employee was doing it.

The edited version was horrible, and made to elicit an emotional response from people, which it obviously did. I saw it. It was sickening.

So shame on the people who filmed and edited that video. I hope Mr. Conklin sues them for everything they're worth.

Alwaysbehind 07-08-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 683798)
Hmmm, I read the article.

It said that the judge, jury, and vets viewed the unedited tape and could find no evidence of abuse by Mr. Conklin or members of his family.

Yep.... That is what I meant by my post.

I am guessing the unedited video was quite different than the posted propaganda video. Which is how it usually is.

RusticWildFire 07-08-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 684511)
I am guessing the unedited video was quite different than the posted propaganda video. Which is how it usually is.

Agreed. However, that being said... hitting those cows that way for any reason what-so-ever.. pushed to or not is absolutely disgusting in my opinion. Everyone should know that that is absolutely wrong for any reason.