The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   How is my Standie looking this year? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/how-my-standie-looking-year-59246/)

Horseychick94 07-08-2010 09:39 PM

How is my Standie looking this year?

9 Attachment(s)
Comet is 16. He is an OTT STB by Western Hanover.:D

Hanover 07-08-2010 09:46 PM

Awwww what a lovely Standie. I have one too but he is being plagued by flies and is just not keeping his weight on like yours. Sorry, do not want to highjack this thread. I am not a good "critiquer" but wanted to say that it looks like you are doing a good job with your baby :-)

equiniphile 07-08-2010 09:56 PM

He looks great! The only thing that sticks out to me conformation-wise is where his back connects to his haunches along his topline. It looks like it curves the opposite way, like it's rounded. Maybe that's a trait particular to STB's though. Either way he's good-looking! He has a sweet face too :)

Horseychick94 07-08-2010 10:12 PM

BrewCrew 07-08-2010 11:50 PM

His neck looks a little thin/weak, and his shoulder a little upright. But a handsome guy, nonetheless! :D

Horseychick94 07-09-2010 12:02 AM

wild_spot 07-09-2010 12:13 AM

If I were you I would get him checked out by a chiro/bodyworker. The way he is standing, coupled with that unsual coupling of back to loin, suggest to me that he may be in painsomehwere, possibly sciatic issues.

Other than that, he's a lovely boy, and such a nice mahogany colour!

mom2pride 07-09-2010 12:30 AM

He's got a roach back, and seems to be over at the knee a bit. His shoulder is slightly upright, and his hip is higher than his forehand.

That said, he looks like a real sweet horse; has a really kind eye, and has a nicely refined head for a standardbred.

Horseychick94 07-09-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 685401)
He's got a roach back, and seems to be over at the knee a bit. His shoulder is slightly upright, and his hip is higher than his forehand.

That said, he looks like a real sweet horse; has a really kind eye, and has a nicely refined head for a standardbred.

Thanks! I dont care that his hip is higher than the forehand. That is a typical STB trait :D

Horseychick94 07-09-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 685390)
If I were you I would get him checked out by a chiro/bodyworker. The way he is standing, coupled with that unsual coupling of back to loin, suggest to me that he may be in painsomehwere, possibly sciatic issues.

Other than that, he's a lovely boy, and such a nice mahogany colour!

Once we get some $$ I will get a chiro:?