The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Difference Between Horsemanship and Western Riding??? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/difference-between-horsemanship-western-riding-59270/)

MeltCupid 07-09-2010 03:04 AM

Difference Between Horsemanship and Western Riding???

I have watched both of these classes but I have no idea what the difference is between the two. Does one judge on the horse and the other on the rider? I need some help:wink:

Silvera 07-09-2010 03:31 AM

Western Pleasure is an on the rail, walk, jog, lope. The judge is suppost to be judging how pleasurable a ride your horse gives you. They want to see your horse go around at the appropriate gaits with little to no visible signs of direction. They want them easily guided.

Horsemanship is a pattern and is different every time you do the class. They are judging you on how you ride your horse through the pattern and how good you are as a "horseman". If something doesn't work they want to see you fix it.

So in WP they are judging the horse, in Horsemanship they are judging you.

Hope that helps.

GottaRide 07-09-2010 11:31 AM

Western Pleasure is a much different class than Western Riding. Horsemanship is another class in itself.

You can read the rulebook of your particular breed's organization to get some familiarity of how each class operates.

Western Pleasure - Judged on the horse's way of going
Western Riding - Judged on the horse's ability to perform a difficult pattern. All patterns are printed in the rulebook. These patterns contain a significant amount of lead changes, manuveuring between cones and over ground poles.
Horsemanship - Judged on the rider's ability to get their horse to perform a pattern. The pattern is decided on by the judge & posted at the show at least one hour before the class competes. These patterns are usually made up of a simple series of gait transitions, stopping, backing, pivots, etc.

myponygizmo 07-14-2010 09:14 PM

There is no class that doesn't specify in the name that doesn't look at the rider I thought that and ended up with a 5th place!!whoops!!

ToHotToTrot 07-15-2010 01:52 AM

You might be talking about equitation when you say that the judge is look at the rider.