The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Basic Dressage Movements... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/basic-dressage-movements-5929/)

BluMagic 02-09-2008 10:26 PM

Basic Dressage Movements...

I need to know to be successful in Jumping and overall English?

Merryl PH 02-10-2008 02:07 AM

Hi Blue Magic,
I don't exactly understand what you are requesting, as your Topic is "Basic Dressage movements" and your message is very brief basically just telling us that you want to learn more about english. From what i read i think you mean you would like to learn more about dressage movements that are basic. There are not really "Basic" dressage movements and "Hard" dresage movements, it depends on what level you are training. What level are you training at, Preliminary is as basic as you can get so if you search the net for some tests and have a look at some of the different steps ore movements to get a rough idea. Hope i could help :D :D :D

Cheval 02-10-2008 11:21 AM

As Merryl said, I don't understand.

Do you mean like, actual movements (ie Leg yielding, turn on the haunches, counter canter, flying changes, etc. [by the way, these are not the basics...maybe a leg yield is somewhat basic, though]) that are basic, or do you mean what you need (ie: impulsion, suppleness, etc) to get the the basics?

BluMagic 02-10-2008 11:34 AM

Well, you may not know that I plan on taking up English Riding for the New Year. I've been researching and reading about jumping and all that. I read an article saying that if you know the Basic Dressage Movements you can jump successfully.

As you know, I have never really ridden English before....

THANKS!

JustDressageIt 02-10-2008 01:02 PM

Hehe the first step is getting used to the English saddle. People find it completely different than a western saddle, so get used to Blu's gaits in an english saddle :)

Secondly, to help you jumping the following will help:
- collection and extension FOR SURE
- leg yields and lateral movements (haunches in/out, shoulder in/out, travers, renvers - but the last 2 are higher level movements)
- good circles will always be your friend.

Those are some very BASIC movements that will help your jumping in the long run..

I always say that all (high level) jumpers are high-level dressage horses, but not necessarily the other way around :)
All the "big" jumpers need to know higher-level dressage or they wouldn't be able to do the things they do to get around the course.

Good on you for taking up dressage for your jumping, that makes me SO happy and proud of you!! :D

BluMagic 02-10-2008 01:10 PM

Lol. Thanks you, JustDressageIt! It is highly appreciated! I still need more info on the collection and extension and etc. and how to do it. lol. This is where I hope a 4-H leader will come in. :D

JustDressageIt 02-10-2008 01:52 PM

Definitely a good idea to have an instructor for that one... there's a fine line between collection and just plain going slower. And remember - extension stems from collection.. can't have one without the other :)

BluMagic 02-10-2008 01:55 PM

I'm so glad i have you guys here! lol. If I didn't, who knows what I'd be doing! lol. 8) :lol:

Grendel 02-10-2008 04:59 PM

I would suggest getting a dressage trainer :)

it can be really hard trying to teach yourself dressage.

upnover 02-10-2008 09:52 PM

I unfortunately grew up with a hunter trainer who taught us almost no dressage... and now that I'm getting more and more into it I feel like there are so many holes in my foundation!! How is the world did I ride!! My advice? Learn it ALL! :D Leg yields will probably be the the most transferable. But it all goes together. A good hunter (and jumper) has to be able to stay balanced and supple, which all of the dressage movements are great for. They also really strengthen your horse's back end, get them off their forehand, make them more 'ridable', etc. I think after leg yields turns on the forehand/haunches are the easiest to learn. Then after that I'd learn haunches/shoulders in. And go up from there. And definately the foundational things like making a good circle, keeping a rhythm, extending/collecting (as someone said), etc.