The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feeding question, opinions PLEASE (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feeding-question-opinions-please-59310/)

cakemom 07-09-2010 03:53 PM

Feeding question, opinions PLEASE

I've scanned through LOTS of posts reading on it, but gotten so confused there are so many thoughts out there.
Currently, our mare eats Strategy 12% (healthy edge I think they call it). She gets a full strategy scoop twice a day, with good quality hay at a rate of 2 flakes twice a day. She's out on pasture, but it's crap pasture, so it's not giving her anything.
She's been on this program since we got her, and she was hundreds of pounds underweight and near death, so we built her up to this starting with constant hay, adding the feed in a little at a time, that's been maybe 5 months. She also gets some yeast on her feed and electrolytes..but that's not relevant, no matter what I feed her she'll get those.
SO..question is, she moves to her new home this coming week. A big new pasture, full of grass that we had seeded and fertilized in the spring and have allowed to grow and flourish until now, letting it get good hold. I'm not overly in love with the strategy, but it does her well. I'm not sure it's not making her a bit hot headed, but being four could be doing that I'd like to be feeding her to my best ability though, so am open to suggestions.
I am a fan of feeding alfalfa pellets, so considered mixing the two (the strategy and pellets) once we get her moved...would this be a bad idea? It's been so durned long since I fed one (12 years we went without a horse) that I'm very rusty. I can get purina, nutrena or a local place sells a sweet they make but I am not a fan of straight out sweet feeds, too much sugar.
She gets moderate work. It will be increasing slowly now as she's back in fine health. And here is a picture of her body weight, she looks like to me now we need to work on muscle, not weight..am I correct?(BTW you can see the old funky pasture here...not ideal but when you get a horse thrown at you and they say take it or it's gonna die, you throw up a fence wherever you can and go at it)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...licka62010.jpg

Peggysue 07-09-2010 04:14 PM

Why not change to the Enrich32 (grain free low NSC high nutrition) and add the alfalfa pellets to that as needed for extra calories ??

cakemom 07-09-2010 04:17 PM

I've honestly never heard of that feed, yes it's been a long time.
I do like a grain free food, it's what I prefer for my dogs as well.
Who makes it, wonder if it can be found here (in podunk USA)

corinowalk 07-09-2010 04:36 PM

First off, she looks great. You said she was a stick horse when you got her...we she sure doesn't look it now. Shes actually quite stunning!

On to the feeding department. Do you think she is at an acceptable weight that you could just start giving her 'fillers' such as beet pulp and alfalfa pellets? I know that at 4, shes probably a bit antsy (what 4 year old isnt?!) but you could help her manage that with a low sugar diet.

For sure listen to PeggySue, she knows what she is talking about. If they dont sell the enrich32 in your area, try to find something else low starch. It can be difficult even though it is the 'trend' now to go low starch. Most feeds just changed their packaging to make it look like it is low starch. Every bagged feed has a label on it...a good rule of thumb is you dont want anything in the first 5-10 ingredients to be a sugar or high starch. (molasses, corn) If it is a complete feed it should have beet pulp and alfalfa already included. If it is a 'low starch' feed, those should make up the first 3-4 ingredients.

Good luck! I know it can be difficult to come up with the right formula. So far you have done an EXCELLENT job with her...keep up the good work!

cakemom 07-09-2010 04:41 PM

Thanks! Part of me says if it ain't broke don't fix it, ya know, but part of me knows that now that she's up, it's time to change some.
I'll def go label reading. I never thought about how much sugar is in the Strategy, but it's pretty high. I'm not thrilled with her coat on it either.

Peggysue 07-09-2010 04:55 PM

cakemom it use to be called Born to WIn

it is the Nature's Esentials line of feed the only one I would think of feeding from Purina .

If you post or pm me your zip I might be able to find you something from another company

luvs2ride1979 07-10-2010 12:45 AM

Enrish 32 is by Purina. If your feed store doesn't have it, they should be able to order it for you. You only feed 1-2 lbs a day for full nutrition.

I feed a similar feed by Alliance (ADM) called StaySTRONG Mineral Pellets. You can order it online. One bag lasts one month per-horse. I mix alfalfa pellets with it for my horses that need more calories. It works very well and they're doing great on it.
StaySTRONG low starch mineral feed supplement

cakemom 07-10-2010 12:50 AM

Thanks so much everyone! The Enrich they sell here in town, where I get my Strategy currently. We should be making the move Sunday, then on to slowly changing some things one by one.
Thanks also for the comment on how well she is looking. It's a proud moment when someone looks at you rescue and no longer says aww..poor thing.
Now..I'm looking for another to rescue..so we can ride together this daughter and I!