The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dear Oster Clippers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dear-oster-clippers-59332/)

PaintsPwn 07-09-2010 09:18 PM

Dear Oster Clippers

... Go die. OH WAIT, you just did 8\

Really? I have a show tomorrow.. HAD a show tomorrow and the little dude is only three-quarters clipped. WTF. It's 8 o'clock and no where is open to buy another set of clippers.

I've had a lot of problems with Oster's since I've put them to regular use. I'm looking for another brand OTHER THAN wahl because those have all failed on me too. Keep in mind, I have 7 horses, all are clipped and shown regularly so I'm looking for some uber hardcore clippers.

upnover 07-10-2010 04:46 PM

Oh yikes, that sucks. Osters are my favorite and I've never had any die on me. A5s are spectacular and I know people who've had theirs for YEEEARS. I personally love my PowerPro Ultras. These two are the toughest and most powerful "regular" clippers I"ve used. When it comes to heavy duty work like body clipping I use Clipmasters and then the PowerPros and A5s for legs and trims.

Make sure you're oiling them very frequently, sharpening the blades regularly, etc. I always have an extra set of clippers in a locker somewhere just in case so something like that won't happen!

upnover 07-10-2010 04:47 PM

Just curious, what happened? The motor quit? They quit cutting?

draftrider 07-10-2010 05:14 PM

Um, I shear my sheep and llamas and show clip my goats with an Oster shearmaster that is so old it has a bakelite handle. It is at least 50 years old and still runs like the day it left the factory.

My A5 is 20+ years old and still strong.

But, this is when Oster was still made in the USA. Once they started manufacturing in China they are all crap.

If you buy a new clippers, get a Wahl. They are very good too.

wyominggrandma 07-10-2010 08:26 PM

I use Andis clippers when I am grooming dogs. Work great, you can use the Oster blades on them and they are pretty quiet and don't get too hot.
I have had Osters, a couple of them worked great, one died within a years time.

PaintsPwn 07-10-2010 09:03 PM

Draftrider - my a5 was... 4 years old? And it's pretty much crap. The other one, can't remember what the model is - is perhaps about 1-2 years... YAY CHINA.

I've always been curious about the andis, nice to hear they work well.

Plains Drifter 07-10-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 687025)
I use Andis clippers when I am grooming dogs. Work great, you can use the Oster blades on them and they are pretty quiet and don't get too hot.
I have had Osters, a couple of them worked great, one died within a years time.

I've wanted an Andis clippers for years. One day I hope to own a pair.

sinsin4635 07-10-2010 11:03 PM

Andis clippers !!

I am a dog groomer, have been for 12 years, & i've always used Andis. I've tried Oster & did'nt like em. Andis are the best!

mom2pride 07-10-2010 11:56 PM

I groom dogs and cats, and have for roughly 15 years now...I still have my original Super 2 Speed...the 'boxey' style one, and they still work really well! I like Andis over Oster, because they are so much quieter, they run cooler usually, and of course, blades are interchangeble. The only regular maintanance I have to do on my clippers is replacing the blade drive which is super easy; if you are showing, thus clipping, very regularly, you will want to make sure to change that driver every month or so, as that keeps the clipper running nice and smooth, and quietly, holds the blade on better, and keeps the blades working properly.

I also use my Andis' on my mare; she got a body clip this past winter using one of my dog clippers...took a bit longer, but they powered through her thick coat like it was nothin...it was the blades that didn't like dirty horse hair so much, hahaha!

So, yes, I definitely second the above post on Andis...I've gotten one of mine at a fleet supply store, in the live stock section, so you may be able to get one there; otherwise, look online on sites like petedge.com, groomers.com, etc...I think even horse sites have them, but I KNOW you can find them on a grooming site.