The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western Saddle Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-questions-59335/)

Cinnys Whinny 07-09-2010 10:03 PM

Western Saddle Questions

I am thinking of getting a western saddle for my 12 year old daughter to ride Cinny in, so I have a few questions. When do you know if you need QH bars or half QH bars and what do they do? Cinny has somewhat non existent withers, what I mean is his neck goes directly into his back and you can't really tell where his withers start or begin (see picture below) and they are really narrow as well. Does this mean he needs QH bars? I know, sort of a silly question but I have never actually bought a western saddle before as they have always been with whatever horse I bought at the time.

Also, my daughter is fitting well in a 16 inch hunt seat with a little room to grow, and I know that western saddles are measured differently. Which size Western saddle would be comparable? She is 12 so she will be growing.

If you have any recommendations on type/style please let me know. Thanks for your help. I'm thinking one of the rounded barrel saddles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0415_004sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...628_comp-1.jpg

Cinnys Whinny 07-10-2010 09:09 AM

bump, anyone??

SouthernTrails 07-10-2010 09:36 AM

By your Pic I would say a Semi-QH

What size and Brand of English Saddle do you use? I might can convert that way.

Another way is to go this website and get a Template to test on your Horse

Western Saddle Fitting and Different Tree Sizes

There is also a Sticky by Iridehorse at the top of this section to use the wire method.

A 14" Western generally corresponds to a 16" English

Cinnys Whinny 07-10-2010 09:41 AM

Thanks I will try that. Does anybody know what size seat if it's a 16 inch in english? I know he is pretty narrow and I know MY forward seat fits him, but I bought it used and don't know the brand or size it is. The one my daughter was using is an older Foxwood (I don't think that brand is even around anymore) 16 inch with what I believe is a medium gullet. It fit him okay, just not with my big butt with that saddle ha ha. But since horse camp she is a devoted western rider lol.

SouthernTrails 07-10-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 686534)
Thanks I will try that. Does anybody know what size seat if it's a 16 inch in english? I know he is pretty narrow and I know MY forward seat fits him, but I bought it used and don't know the brand or size it is. The one my daughter was using is an older Foxwood (I don't think that brand is even around anymore) 16 inch with what I believe is a medium gullet. It fit him okay, just not with my big butt with that saddle ha ha. But since horse camp she is a devoted western rider lol.

If you use the Templates, my First try would be the Narrow/Medium One, that is semi-Qh and most of the time equates to a Medium in an English Saddle

A 16" English Seat is normally the same fit as a 14" Western

iridehorses 07-10-2010 11:07 AM

I agree with Kevin. 16" English is a 14" Western - BUT even though a 15" may be a little large for now, it will be more plentiful to buy, easier to resell, and for her to grow into.

Cinnys Whinny 07-10-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 686578)
I agree with Kevin. 16" English is a 14" Western - BUT even though a 15" may be a little large for now, it will be more plentiful to buy, easier to resell, and for her to grow into.

I agree, I was thinking of going a little bigger for her because it's easier to do in a Western and still have a pretty ok fit. I think I'm going to look at the local consignment store, they have a lot of stuff there and I think the new owners have a new policy allowing you to try out saddles with a deposit :) I just want to start off with something close to possibly fitting other than doing trial and error with 20 saddles ha ha