The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Appaloosa 4-H grooming? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/appaloosa-4-h-grooming-59393/)

PintoBean 07-10-2010 03:47 PM

Appaloosa 4-H grooming?

I live in Washington, and I was wondering if anyone knows the 4-H grooming standards for Appaloosas?
I know they need to have clear hoof polish. But does their mane need to be left natural/ long or should be banded? Any other grooming standards I should know about?
:DThanks:D

Icyred 07-12-2010 09:25 AM

Usually people band for breed shows and braid as well, I'm not sure for 4-H though...

Alwaysbehind 07-12-2010 09:53 AM

Do you have friends that are doing 4-h also?

I would suggest you do what all the other people with stock horse type horses are doing.

Band or braid most likely.

HorseOfCourse 07-12-2010 10:04 AM

In all honesty..for 4-H it doesn't matter unless your club is super strict about it..but here we do anything to any breed. The only thing we are careful of is hoof polish color on colored breeds.

equiniphile 07-12-2010 10:20 AM

For 4-H they don't really care. Gaited horses and Saddlebreds are left with natural manes and tails. Stock horses have pulled manes, which are banded. Some people do a running braid if their breed usually has pulled manes but they want to leave them natural.

HorseOfCourse 07-12-2010 10:26 AM

A lot of people in 4-H just shave the bridle path and leave it as is.

Alwaysbehind 07-12-2010 10:35 AM

Gosh, in my part of the world the kids take 4-h very seriously. Even the kids with free ponies do their best to spiff up their mount like this was the most important show day ever.

Why call it just 4-h?

It is a great time to learn how to do things like band and braid and get the experience so you can do it yourself.

equiniphile 07-12-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 688410)
Gosh, in my part of the world the kids take 4-h very seriously. Even the kids with free ponies do their best to spiff up their mount like this was the most important show day ever.

Why call it just 4-h?

It is a great time to learn how to do things like band and braid and get the experience so you can do it yourself.

Oh, I wish it was like that here! My mom gets mad at me for taking a 4-H show so seriously. I hadn't schooled Arthur over jump lines yet at home, but my mom made me sign up for a 2' green working hunter over fences class anyway "just for fun". Lol he refused every jump :/. No one takes it too seriously here

Scoutrider 07-12-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 688410)

Why call it just 4-h?

It's the same in my area. Whether its gaming, pleasure, jumping, or halter, everyone old enough to understand what to do has a real "States or Bust" mentality! Sometimes I wish it could be as simple as shaving a bridle path and heading for the ring! :lol:

OP, Appies are generally prepped the same as QH's or Paints; pulled and banded mane, ear-length bridle path, clipped muzzle if you want, clipped fetlocks and coronary bands. A spritz of coat polish and little baby oil on the muzzle and around the eyes (careful applying it) adds a little "extra".

HorseOfCourse 07-12-2010 03:03 PM

I'm not saying that's all I do..

I take it to the extremes [excluding banding] I gelled, washed, wiped, brushed, shined, sprayed, dusted, etc anything I could possiby think of.

It's not required, though.