The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Weak Right Leg? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/weak-right-leg-59396/)

Scoutrider 07-10-2010 04:43 PM

Weak Right Leg?

Just got in from the barn! I've had an epiphany about my hands, and I think I'm getting the soft-constant-conversational contact ball rolling (woot! :lol:). However, as I took off my half-chaps today I noticed the splotches of horse sweat on them. I'm happy with the contact point, almost on the exact inside of my calf, vs. 3/4 of the way to the back of my leg where it used to be, but I noticed that there was a lot more sweat on my left chap than the right; the left splotch was quite a bit larger, and longer, running nearly the length of the chap. The right splotch was far more "localized", if that makes sense.

I'm thinking that my left leg is simply stronger than my right. I can feel it when I ride, that my left leg is quite a bit more effective than my right. It shows in my corners, especially in a few choice spots of the arena where I need that right leg to remind Scout to keep into the corner and not lean on my leg.

No doubt part of the problem is my still-re-learning seat, and next ride I plan to focus on where my weight is... make sure I'm not sitting too far to the left as well. Does anyone have any ideas, mounted and/or unmounted, to help me even myself up? I'm very left handed as well, if that matters.

Thanks! :-)

ridergirl23 07-10-2010 04:47 PM

ohhh i am going to watch this thread... i sit way to the right x(

try doing daily things with your right hand instead of left, like if you eat ice cream, hold it in your right hand, and any drink or anything. and when yours sturring something, do it with your left. or when your doing simple things, just do them with your right hand :) im right handed and i try to do things with my left, and i find it helps! even though it feels funny!!!

horsequeen373 07-10-2010 05:44 PM

I agree with above except I believe your talking about your right leg. So if your talking to friends or something and you find yourself standing with most of your weight on your strong leg, switch to the weak leg. Also drop the stirrup of your stronger leg and posting using just your weak leg will help a lot.

MyBoyPuck 07-11-2010 05:31 PM

I had a wicked weak right leg after coming back from an injury. I strengthened it by riding with only my left stirrup. That way if I wanted to stay on, it was up to my right leg to keep me in the saddle. Worked great.

Scoutrider 07-12-2010 02:31 PM

Thanks for the advice! :D

I tried reminding myself to not stand with most of the weight on my stronger leg, and, boy howdy, is it hard! :lol: Not only do I keep catching myself resting the weaker leg, but I subconsciously switch back when I try not to! I'll definitely keep up with it, though, and I'll try the mounted exercises next ride!

Thanks again, all! :D