The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-care-59398/)

Five Furlongs 07-10-2010 04:53 PM

Hoof Care

What should be in a good hoof dressing?

luvs2ride1979 07-10-2010 10:50 PM

Hoof Heal is the best I have used. It prevents thrush and infections so it's safe to put on the horse's frog and sole. I also like Corona ointment for horses that crack easily in dry conditions.

loosie 07-11-2010 03:57 AM

Water:wink:. Generally speaking, hoof dressings may make the hooves look prettier, but don't do jack for their health. They need to grow strong & healthy from the inside with good diet, nutrition and management/function. Oil based products seal hooves which are meant to 'breathe' and can also seal in too much moisture & make for nicer environments for opportunistic infections.

The main exceptions to the above are in excessively wet areas, to try to seal out excess moisture and when a horse has, or is prone to thrush, to kill the infection and deter it from coming back.

MaggiStar 07-11-2010 05:44 AM

Your not meant to put different oils etc on the hooves regularly as it in time can weaken them

Five Furlongs 07-12-2010 04:08 PM

With the dry weather we have I have seemed to need too because otherwise her feet would crack, i have rainmaker right now but its almost gone and didnt want to pay that much again for it . . .

Deerly 07-12-2010 05:35 PM

I was going to suggest rainmaker but you just posted that you didn't want to buy it again, lol! Where my horse is boarding they put stuff in the arena sand to dry it out quickly after it rains and it does a number on their hooves. Rainmaker has been amazing in keeping his hoof from drying out (and brought it back when it was).

It's sorta expensive but mine tend to last a while - of course, just for one horse!

loosie 07-12-2010 08:34 PM

Horses have evolved in semi-arid environment. They're meant to have dry feet. Cracks commonly usually come about due to walls being overlong &/or forced to bear too much pressure, especially if the lamellar connection is weak. Diet/nutritional problems also contribute. So IMO don't paint goop on the outside, but feed them well for the inside.

SavvyHill 07-12-2010 08:50 PM

Water actually dries out hooves. I suggest you find a lotion of some sort.

GypseCowgirl 07-12-2010 08:54 PM

I actually agree with Loosie and Maggistar...water a couple times a week or daily is what we do out here...over flowing your trough works well. We do it mostly because in nature when horse drink at the waters edge they put their feet into the water and mud..its a natural conditioner, but keep the area free of manuer (don't want to complicate things). Double check your farrier/trimmer too...if they are too long they will crack...Biotin is great supplement to put in the feed also that helps to strenghten from the inside out. Also if your horse has not had her shoes off in a long time, her feet may need a break. It is recommended to remove shoes a couple times per year to allow the hoof to "breath". Good luck!!

loosie 07-12-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvyHill (Post 689126)
Water actually dries out hooves.

:lol: ?? Even if this were so, dressing the hooves with topical goop doesn't either - it may make the hooves look prettier & soften the outer layer(don't know why anyone would want that) but it doesn't soak in & doesn't effect the health of the hooves.

In addition to Gypse's good advice, biotin can indeed be a good supp for hooves, as it is one of many necessary nutrients that may be lacking in the diet. BUT I would not bother buying a biotin supp. Firstly, as said, it is *one of many* ingredients that are needed, so if that's all you supp, it won't get far without the rest. Secondly biotin is actually one ingredient that is frequently NOT lacking in the diet, so it may be a total waste to supp it. Biotin is particularly present in greed forage and lucerne/alfalfa. So if your horse isn't getting much green pick, adding a biscuit or so of lucerne hay to his diet should give him all the biotin he needs, along with protein, calcuim & other nutritients that alfalfa/lucerne is rich in.