The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Paints (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/paints-59401/)

EventingIsLovee 07-10-2010 05:32 PM

Paints

In lower levels of eventing, there are definitely a lot of paints that look like they can really be upper level prospects. I tend to think that they should really just go up to training level, but is it a normal thing to see talented paint horses going any higher than training?

ridergirl23 07-10-2010 05:36 PM

Im not sure about eventing... but at the barn im at there is a paint that is doing first level and is getting 75 %s and higher, he will move up to second level this year. he has talent to go up to 3rd level if they work hard. I think it is the individual, not the breed. :)

EventingIsLovee 07-10-2010 05:57 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I agree. All horses are different, but I was just curious about the breed's ability in general to go to high levels of eventing.

Eliz 07-11-2010 04:55 PM

Well, as far as I know most Paints are QH bred, which aren't really for eventing. But there are some TB bred paints, that are more for eventing.

They could be pintos (its just a color registry, so any horse with white can be reg. with them), and if they're pintos they could be warmbloods or horses bred for eventing :)

EventingIsLovee 07-12-2010 02:32 PM

Oh, okay that makes more sense, thanks!

Cinnys Whinny 07-12-2010 02:38 PM

Most QH's have TB in them as the AQHA accepts (or did accept) Jocky Club Registered TB to be one parent to an AQHA registered horse. All Paints registered with APHA are QH or TB based as the parentage for APHA horses must be either both registered APHA or one reg APHA and the other parent must be AQHA or Jocky club registered. APHA is not just a "color registry" only certain breeding is allowed.

So, there can be a LOT of TB in some Paints. Cinny is APHA but if you look at his bloodlines he is more like half QH half TB. This would give a better conformation for Dressage and makes for differences in individuals just like it does QH's.

EventingIsLovee 07-12-2010 03:42 PM

So does that mean a paint with more tb in it would be more athletic and more talented in eventing, than one with more qh? Or would it be more athletic with half and half?

Cinnys Whinny 07-12-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EventingIsLovee (Post 688767)
So does that mean a paint with more tb in it would be more athletic and more talented in eventing, than one with more qh? Or would it be more athletic with half and half?

Not sure. I would think it would create more individuality in athletics for the breed instead of a mold where they all have the same abilities or disabilities due to conformation.
Posted via Mobile Device

EventingIsLovee 07-12-2010 04:03 PM

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks (: