The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Staying in the saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/staying-saddle-59494/)

DustyDiamond 07-11-2010 10:12 PM

Staying in the saddle

Okay sooo...I am pretty new to barrel racing and i have only done 3 gymkhanas so far. I stay in the saddle the whole time around the barrels and when we are galloping back, but once my gelding that i ride, starts to slow down i start bouncing up off the saddle pretty high. I know i could use rubberbands to put on my feet and the stir-up so i can keep my feet in place but is there anything i can do about bouncing high up off the saddle. I'm trying to practice it every chance i get so any ideas?

BarrelRacer86 07-12-2010 09:48 AM

Other than trying to sit as deep as you can, theres not mush you can do to help it. It's probably not you, just the horses stop. I've barrel raced for years and have a good seat, and never come out of the saddle when stopping on any other horse. But my mare..., she's rough and can bounce about anyone out of the saddle when she stops. She doesn't slide, she jars to a stop in about 3 big hops. It can hurt sometimes, I've just learned to anticipate it and sit back to be ready for it.

PintoBean 07-12-2010 03:27 PM

just what BarrelRacer86 said. put your heels down, an sit on your pocket, arching your back slightly forward. This helped me, I hope this helps you!

zanyoutthere 08-06-2010 08:57 AM

When Your horse in stopping stand slightky out of the saddle and fallow his canter so you will be rocking a little bit.

corinowalk 08-06-2010 09:10 AM

My horse would always stop with the hops too. What I started doing was breaking him off to the left. Mind you, this only works if you are in a closed arena but it can buy him a few more strides to slow it down.

JRL 08-07-2010 10:57 AM

What Corinowalk said...if your running in an arena that doesnt have an exit chute, turn your horse either way will give him more room to stop. It sounds like he is stopping with his front end. he needs to get his butt under him for the stop as well and use his hind quarters to stop. practice it, it will come!

barrelracer7335 08-18-2010 12:27 PM

I run alot of horses in barrels but my first one doesn't like to **** down so when I go to turn him to the left (in a closed arena) I grab the back of my saddle and sit really deep.It has always kept me in the saddle. You might want to try that too.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintedFury 08-18-2010 07:28 PM

My first question, is do you use rear boots on your horse? If not, you may want to start. I used to have a horse that if he didn't have his rear boots on, he would stop on his front end, but if he did have them on, he'd slide in like a reining horse. He did that because he burnt his fetlocks sliding to a stop one time, so he started stopping on his front end. Also, you can try asking her to back up right after you stop her, every time you stop her. Start at a walk and work your way up through the gaits, always asking her to back up several steps after you stop her. This will set her up to stop on her rear end instead of on her front end.

If that doesn't help you, I would work on your seat. Concentrate on keeping your heels down, and sitting deep in the saddle. Also, do you have a back girth on your saddle? If not, the back of the saddle may be popping up and tossing you out. Get a back girth, that will keep the saddle from vaulting you out.

Hope this helps you out.