The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Help! Connemara Pony or Draft Pony Cross? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/help-connemara-pony-draft-pony-cross-59514/)

RioPony 07-12-2010 01:36 AM

Help! Connemara Pony or Draft Pony Cross?

http://www.horseforum.com/members/16...eats-12565.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/members/16...me-i-12559.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/members/16...irst-12560.jpg
Go to my album for more pictures.

I just purchased my 6 year old gelding. His previous owners did not know his breed but he is supposedly registered in some type of pony club in England. His full brother was a white (grey) stallion that everyone would take a fit over. He has a very stocky build (like the Connemara) and a Connemara looking head. He also looks like a tiny Percheron, lol. He has the color that's found (and very common) in both Percherons & Connemaras. He has huge hooves and joints & a big head. He is only 14.2 HH but fits in horse size bridles/halters. I personally think his legs and joints are too small to be a draft cross but i don't really know. I've looked at countless pictures and compared him to them and I just keep thinking he's either a Connemara Pony or a Draft Pony cross. Can you guys give me your opinions? Does anyone own Connemaras that can give me a 'sure opinion'?

Thanks a bunch!
- Brie.

Here is a video if you need to see his movement. It's only at a walk.

RioPony 07-12-2010 03:28 AM

No one?

Count Jackula 07-12-2010 03:52 AM

Quote:

supposedly registered in some type of pony club in England

Connemara is an irish breed, not english and since every horse in Britain requires a passport, they can be issued by all sorts of type registers...anything from British Driving Society to Coloured Horse and Pony Society, so registration for a passport here is completely different to studbook registration. I don't know anything about connies, you'd be better looking at the breed standard, but I do know a bit about drafts, and I can't see any draft in him at all :shock: Also a percheron is not a british breed, it actually originates in France :-)

HTH

RioPony 07-12-2010 04:04 AM

lol, I know Connemaras & Percherons aren't from England. But Welsh Ponies in America aren't from America, you know? I was just saying where he was bred. I have looked at the breed standard and he fits it almost perfectly. I'm just looking for some opinions since I don't know for sure. Thanks for your input :)
The reason I said a draft cross is because in person, he has HUGE joints and hooves. It almost looks funny, lol. For some reason he looks different in pictures, it's so wierd. But I highly doubt he is a draft cross. I'm really anxious to get those papers! haha.

Count Jackula 07-12-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RioPony (Post 688220)
lol, I know Connemaras & Percherons aren't from England. But Welsh Ponies in America aren't from America, you know? I was just saying where he was bred. I have looked at the breed standard and he fits it almost perfectly. I'm just looking for some opinions since I don't know for sure. Thanks for your input :)
The reason I said a draft cross is because in person, he has HUGE joints and hooves. It almost looks funny, lol. For some reason he looks different in pictures, it's so wierd. But I highly doubt he is a draft cross. I'm really anxious to get those papers! haha.

Well, I thought you were desperate for a response :think: if you knew that neither connemaras or percherons breeds originate from England, then why post
Quote:

he is supposedly registered in some type of pony club in England
and ask if people think he is a connemara or a percheron cross?!

RioPony 07-12-2010 04:20 AM

No need to get angry, gosh. I was just putting as much information as possible.
There are Percherons from France in America & England and all over the world. There are Arabians in Japan. I mean different breeds from different countries are all over the world. Just because I said he was registered in England doesn't mean he is an English breed. It's common sense. Not an issue to get mad over. I mean really.

Count Jackula 07-12-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RioPony (Post 688228)
No need to get angry, gosh. I was just putting as much information as possible.
There are Percherons from France in America & England and all over the world. There are Arabians in Japan. I mean different breeds from different countries are all over the world. Just because I said he was registered in England doesn't mean he is an English breed. It's common sense. Not an issue to get mad over. I mean really.

If you don't know what you have bought, then that's your problem :rofl: However if you ask people for their opinions
Quote:

I just keep thinking he's either a Connemara Pony or a Draft Pony cross. Can you guys give me your opinions?
you will get them, doh! I was just explaining that being registered in 'England' as a pony, doesn't mean he has to be a pure bred, but clearly you knew that already...for all I know he could have a passport issued by Billy Bones Pikey Trotting Pony Society but heck, you bought him, bit late for asking questions! :shock::roll:

Lis 07-12-2010 05:20 AM

What type of pony club? Was it the Pony Club? If it was that isn't a breed registery, it's more like showing and things like that.

He does look Connemaraish but I wouldn't swear to it.

RioPony 07-12-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Jackula (Post 688240)
If you don't know what you have bought, then that's your problem :rofl: However if you ask people for their opinions you will get them, doh! I was just explaining that being registered in 'England' as a pony, doesn't mean he has to be a pure bred, but clearly you knew that already...for all I know he could have a passport issued by Billy Bones Pikey Trotting Pony Society but heck, you bought him, bit late for asking questions! :shock::roll:

Yes I bought him. I don't care what breed he is. I am just interested in knowing. This is a horse forum, I thought I'd ask to start an interesting conversation.
So I don't quite know what your problem is. You might wanna pull the saddle horn outta your ass cause your riding this all wrong. I don't appreciate you being such a smart ass. If you wanna keep going on about something, don't do it here. I'd rather you have kept your opinions to yourself since you don't know how to be civil. So carry on elsewhere. KayThanksBye. :-x

RioPony 07-12-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lis (Post 688251)
What type of pony club? Was it the Pony Club? If it was that isn't a breed registery, it's more like showing and things like that.

He does look Connemaraish but I wouldn't swear to it.

Yeah I thought about it may be the actual Pony Club but he said it was some type of association. The word association leads me to believe it's more likely to be a breed registry, but again, i don't know. Guess I'll just have to wait on the papers, lol. But keep the opinions coming, I'd like to hear them.
Thanks!