The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Just Horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/just-horses-59544/)

Lovehorsesandrunning 07-12-2010 12:15 PM

Just Horses?

Sorry, This is probably the wrong place for this thread.

But i was wondering is horse back riding the only sport everyone on here does? Thats not a bad thing but my dad assumes just because i do cross country ( which id quit for horse back riding anyday) that im too busy for horses. Hes also worried that i wont stay focused in school, but on my report card the quarters i did horse back riding my grades went up.

Im already an honors student and always have been so i dont know what hes worried about, him and my mom. Its not like cross country is an expensive sport, its probably one of the least expensive sports! Then my sister does lacrosse and may be starting gymnastics ( which is an expensive sport) So all of you on here do you do any sports and does horse back riding efect your grades?

barrelracer892 07-12-2010 12:52 PM

I danced for ten years and five of those I rode horses as well. I went two nights a week to dance classes and rode the rest of the time. I made all A's and the occasional B in all of my classes. My grades didn't suffer a bit. You just have to work a little harder to fit everything into your schedule. Right now I go to college full time, have one full time job and one part time job, and still ride during the week and barrel race on weekends. It's tough doing all that, but I love to stay busy.

Lovehorsesandrunning 07-12-2010 12:56 PM

Thats cool! i really want to be able to ride in collage i didnt know if i can manage that but ill try too.. first.. i need a horse..

barrelracer892 07-12-2010 12:58 PM

Trying never hurts. Good luck in getting a horse! :]

LoveStory10 07-12-2010 01:39 PM

I sing, and I did piano, and hockey, now I just sing, and horse ride

ghosthorse 07-12-2010 07:33 PM

Aside from riding, I do year-round competitive swimming.

ridergirl23 07-12-2010 07:41 PM

I used to swim, and play lacrosse, but now im seriously riding so i dont have anymore time for other sports :(

equiniphile 07-12-2010 07:46 PM

Just riding. And track, you know, but that's in spring only and I don't have to run aside from practice to stay in shape for that. I'm going into geometry in eighth grade, an I ride and take care of my now....how many, 6? Soon to be 7 or something like that? It's confusing since we sold two and are bringing a few back and one's foaling.....anyway, I take care of all those horses and exercise them, em hoping to school Excel cross country, and my grades are great. I think your dad's just thinking of excuses for you not to ride :/

Mickey4793 07-12-2010 07:56 PM

I do track and cross country, very annoying on my riding schedule when the school ears starts considering I also have a part time job, and then there's the homework, but I deal.

Pinto 07-12-2010 08:45 PM

Nope. It's been horses, horses, horses my entire life :D
Horse riding has never affected my grades. I've always been a high achiever in school and in my final year I was given a grant from the school because I got some of the highest marks of everyone. If anything, horses taught me to manage my time better. I would be down at the stables at around 6:30am to ride and do all my chores, and the afternoons would be dedicated to homework and study. If you've got a job you will need to factor that into the equation as well.
Horse riding lessons will probably only take a few hours out of your day. If you had horses of your own it would be a totally different story, but I highly doubt having lessons will affect your grades :)