The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Don't mess with mother nature!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/dont-mess-mother-nature-5956/)

horse_luver4e 02-10-2008 06:57 PM

Don't mess with mother nature!!

I just recently heard of something new the horse breeders are doing and it makes me sick. They are doing something to the mares like giving them drugs and keeping them in the darkest part of there stall and all this other weird crap to get the mares to have more heat cycles to have more foals! The start at 2 and 3! :x This is terrible! What is this world coming to? :roll: Why must they treat there mares like foal machines? :(

AKPaintLover 02-10-2008 07:52 PM

I agree with you horseluver, that is really sad. Did is say who tends to do this? I also don't quite understand because I believe many mares are able to reproduce at age 2 and 3 anyway. Does it have to do with race horses, and trying to get them in season earlier in the year?

horse_luver4e 02-10-2008 07:59 PM

No I can't remember who was doing it but it wasn't race horses. It was on RFD TV and I looked it up but I can't find it. I really disagree with breeding a 2 and 3 year old mare anyway let alone giving them drugs to produce twice as much foals till they kill over. :?

AKPaintLover 02-10-2008 08:14 PM

I also disagree with breeding a horse that young...not because of maturity (though physical and mental maturity can also be factors), but because they have likely not proved that they are worth breeding at that age.

I also disagree with breeding back each year, because I don't think the mare is able to fully restore the resources in her body or the healthy condition of muscles/tendons/ligaments from the constant demand of pregnancy and nursing.

I would be curious to find out more about what you saw. I had not heard of hormones, but I had heard of lights being used to put horses into heat earlier so that race horses could have an earlier birthday for competition purposes.

BluMagic 02-10-2008 08:20 PM

I don't really agree with backyard breeding and using the word 'raping' but....

THIS IS CHAOTIC!! You want more, nicer horses so you give them drugs?! grrrrr this is what's bad about the national breeders. :roll: :evil: it's mean.

Thank you for posting this horse_luver. I have heard of it on RFD as well. :?

horse_luver4e 02-10-2008 09:24 PM

I know. I'm a real natural person, such as I don't even like the idea of artificial insimination, and putting horses under light so they don't grow hair in the winter and all that stuff but this, this is just too far.

I'm going to keep searching for it but I have only seen it on RFD.

tim 02-10-2008 11:09 PM

Re: Don't mess with mother nature!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by horse_luver4e
I just recently heard of something new the horse breeders are doing and it makes me sick. They are doing something to the mares like giving them drugs and keeping them in the darkest part of there stall and all this other weird crap to get the mares to have more heat cycles to have more foals! The start at 2 and 3! :x This is terrible! What is this world coming to? :roll: Why must they treat there mares like foal machines? :(

I guess I shouldn't get you going on surrogate pregnancys?

Well, I will anyway. It's where they induce a mares heat cycle chemically, then they artificially inseminate her and wait for the fetus to develop a little. After that point they remove the fetus and implant it inside a different mare that is "less fit to breed". Then repeat the process again several times a year. It's how they maximize mares with consistently outstanding produce. The nice mare passes on her genes to a large number of offspring every ear without spoiling her with full pregnancy. I think it's interesting at least.

horse_luver4e 02-11-2008 06:53 PM

I know thats terrible :cry:

AKPaintLover 02-11-2008 07:08 PM

I don't know if I find that all that terrible. The mares carrying don't know any difference, and the foals produced are from a more desirable mare and stallion. It is a good way for successful ranches to produce more progeny out of their more desirable stock. I would worry though about surplus. I am assuming the process is fairly pricey though, and is not overdone without being really well thought out.

horse_luver4e 02-11-2008 07:38 PM

I just feel it's unnatural. Then there not horses there just man made money makers if you ask me. :(