The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Should I quit now? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/should-i-quit-now-59604/)

Nature2horses 07-12-2010 09:54 PM

Should I quit now?

MY riding instructor got an injury and will no longer be teaching lessons. I've never had or seen such a good riding instructor and horse trainer(she also trained my horse). She was teaching me to ride competitively but always treating the horse well. She is the only person I would want to train my horse. I think I might sell my horse and just quit riding. What should I do? I just don't know what to do... I've seen all the riding instructors in my area and trainers and I don't want to use them. :(

ridergirl23 07-12-2010 10:14 PM

Don't give up, keep riding, just keep using what she taught you... will she never be teaching lessons ever again, or only quit for a while?

I wouldnt quit, look for clinics in your area, look for other trainers (there will probably be some you havent heard of) read lots of books, watch videos, learn a lot through that.

sorry, thats all i can think of.

RideAWildHorse 07-12-2010 10:25 PM

Don't give up. My riding instructor injured his back, and he's telling me what to do to get my horse trained.
Yes, my horse is NOT trained yet, and my instructor is having back problems. I've been frustrated to the point of wanting to sell my horse and getting a more experienced one, but i stuck to what he was saying, and guess what? We're competing in two weeks! When I brought my horse to the stables last year, I couldn't ride him without someone leading him... I didn't have control. But now im able to get him to take the bit and I'm training him to gait (He's a Tennessee Walking Horse), and I'm riding on my own. He's 5. yeah, a little late to be training him, eh? Well, Yeah, that's what I thought, too. My trainer/instructor told me what I had to work on for the week, (getting him to take the bit) And now Bridling is easy! So even though youre instructor is unable to show you what to do, or even able to get to the stables, that doesn't mean she can't help you. Get her number, and if you're having any problems, call her and tell her your problem, and ask her what you can do to fix it, or ask her what you should work on that week.

Theres no need to sell your best friend, and quit doing what you love. Just keep riding, and ask her any questions.

Lovehorsesandrunning 07-12-2010 11:16 PM

honey dont give up horseback riding it wioll always be there for you, you dont want to give up horse back riding , if she was that great and she trained your horse you and horse can be that great even with out her you could look for a trainer in a little while but as for now you could always just ride for fun if your not in the mood for training or competitions

Nature2horses 07-13-2010 12:08 AM

The thing is there is no other trainer like her. She's NEVER teaching again! I can't believe it. I did not expect it at all. I just wish I could have learned more. Her techniques were amazing and I can't get over the fact that I can't learn more. Not only that there is no other horse trainer at my stable and the only riding instructors left are SUPER expensive. This is the BEST stable in my area, I've been everywhere and I can't move. I just don't know what to do! She's one of the only people my horse trusted and I can't handle my horse without her. I don't have any help anymore. :( We've paid thousands to this trainer and now it's all gone to waste because my horse will be all confused!

sandy2u1 07-13-2010 03:04 AM

If you can't handle the horse at all without the trainer, then I do think you need to sell the horse to an experience handler. Then find yourself a nice quiet seasoned horse that can help teach you. You still have the option of taking riding lessons later if you find a good instructor, but you won't be stuck with a horse you can't handle while you search.

TheCountryLife 07-13-2010 04:09 AM

i dont think you should quit especially if you love your horse and you love riding.

Could your instructor not recommend anyone who she knows or put you in touch with another instructor? Im sure she will have friends or know someone who she trained with or who taught her all she knows as she obviously learnt from someone?

Im sure there are plenty of instructors out there who given the chance may really benefit you.

If you are really not that confident with that particular horse then i agree with Sandy2u1 to get a quieter horse and begin to ride competitively.

Saskia 07-13-2010 05:36 AM

Its strange that you are wanting to quit on a whim - don't you feel some kind of drive to keep going? If you don't feel comfortable with your horse as it is then you should not have it. Confidence is key with working with horses.

Consider if this is the best horse for you. Perhaps there is another trainer, they may not be as good but they could still be adequate. Or you could send your horse away to a trainer until he is trained/safe enough for to go on with. Ask your trainer to recommend someone - they obviously learned from somewhere so they might know people.

The training is not going to waste. Every lesson you and your horse should have accomplished something. Yes, you have an overall goal, but you accomplish it step by step. Just because you haven't reached your goal doesn't mean that you haven't done a lot of the steps. Horses can be confused but it as not as bad as you think - while teaching methods have differences and may seem very different they have lots of common, even if they achieve things in different ways. Look for a training method that is similar - if you feel comfortable with it your horse will go better.

You sound pretty upset but its okay. Your horse experience is about you and your horse - not about you, your horse and your instructor. She may have been great but teachers come and go throughout your life. Its just another step and the road of learning, or whatever.

I don't know. Do what makes you happy.