The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My 2yo Bully (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-2yo-bully-59629/)

momo3boys 07-13-2010 09:42 AM

My 2yo Bully

I am having a hard time getting my new 2yo gelding to stop bullying me around the pen! He doesn't listen well when he has an agenda, and will NOT go running around the pen like I see in so many training videos. He doesn't respect my space at all and when I get into his face he gets back into mine! He is only 14ish hands but I am small only 5'2" and not very big. I was thinking of wearing my cowboy hat to make myself seem bigger...any other ideas? I really need him to respect me.

Speed Racer 07-13-2010 09:45 AM

Send him to a reputable trainer before you get hurt and he gets messed up beyond repair.

It's obvious that you don't know what you're doing, and that he has zero respect for you.

Putting on a cowboy hat to appear 'bigger' isn't going to help.

abbyshamrock 07-13-2010 10:24 AM

Have you ever used a lunge whip when you lunged or round pined him? Don't be afraid to smack him when he is misbehaving, and give him a pat on the neck when he is being good for you.
Making sure he respects you! if his face is in yours, push it away. He is only two years old. He's got a lot to learn.
Hope this helps!

Alwaysbehind 07-13-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 689610)
Send him to a reputable trainer before you get hurt and he gets messed up beyond repair.

It's obvious that you don't know what you're doing, and that he has zero respect for you.

This!

One of the smartest things we as horse owners can ever do is admit when we are over our heads and we need the help of a professional, for the sake of our animals, as well as ourselves.

momo3boys 07-13-2010 11:42 AM

Due to some very complicated circumstances my only real other option is the let the old owner (he still lives in her pasture) train him and she doesn't really have the time...I am willing to learn anything to help him. I won a small battle of the wills with him the other day when I finally got him to back up. ON the way back to the pasture he didn't walk in front of me once! I think I can do this with time and some advice...

abbyshamrock 07-13-2010 12:46 PM

Is he broke to ride yet?

momo3boys 07-13-2010 01:08 PM

not even close! He wasn't really around people for the first year of his life. Never even in a round pen until I brought him out two months ago. I got a blanket on him the other day and after a little sacking out he was fine. Not quite ready for a saddle though.

abbyshamrock 07-13-2010 01:12 PM

When you round pin him, try doing it with a lunge line. And if he starts to misbehave. Give him a little tap (with a whip) on the hindquarters to tell him to knock it off. What is your ultimate goal for this horse? Like as in, what do you want to train him under. Western, jumping, dressage, etc...

momo3boys 07-13-2010 02:10 PM

Thanks, I think I have been way to nice to him... I would love for him to be a Western trail horse. He is a beautiful Rocky Mountain so I could show him if I wanted to, but I really would like to trail ride him mostly. I was thinking of making a whip like object, just a dowel with a rag stapled to the end to have a longer arm, and get him to move using that. I also have been focusing on his front shoulder, should I focus on the back end instead?

MN Tigerstripes 07-13-2010 02:56 PM

If you aren't/can't going to get a trainer and you aren't going to sell the horse I would put him out to pasture and leave him alone for now.

In the meantime I would begin learning about training horses. And not from the internet (although you can find useful things on here). Find a trainer in your area and ask if you can come out and watch. Maybe take a couple of lessons yourself. Read some books, rent a couple of DVDs, etc. The most important of these is the trainer, you need a live person to ask questions to and to get advice from. At the very least you will hopefully decrease the amount of screwing up you are bound to do by following this approach. No offense really, but you don't sound like you know a lot about training horses and you're bound to make some mistakes. Some of which could be dangerous for you and him.

That's all the advice I have, except for the very best thing for you and your horse is to get a good trainer to help you.