The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   The Perlino Color (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/perlino-color-59636/)

LoverofHorses 07-13-2010 10:38 AM

The Perlino Color

1 Attachment(s)
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section) I have always thought perlino horses have cream coats with pink skin and blue eyes. However our MFT gelding is a perlino but he does not have blue eyes or pink skin. Do I have the definition of perlino all wrong? Here is the only pic of him I have on hand.

lilkitty90 07-13-2010 10:44 AM

have you had genetic tests? he looks more like a champagne than a perlino.

speedy da fish 07-13-2010 10:46 AM

Perlino horses are black with Agouti and 2 cream genes. so basically bay double diluted with cream. They do not necessarily have to have pink skin and blue eyes.

and I agree with the above post, his skin pigment does look like that of a champagne. He could even have champagne and cream on him, thats what he look like.

LoverofHorses 07-13-2010 11:34 AM

We haven't had a genetic test. We just purchased him recently from a breeder. If I looked at his sire and dam would I be able to tell if he should be a perlino or champagne?

equiniphile 07-13-2010 11:37 AM

He doesn't look perlino with that muzzle.....I'd say champagne

LoverofHorses 07-13-2010 11:47 AM

He is registered as a perlino, if he really isn't a perlino would I be able to get his color changed?

lilkitty90 07-13-2010 11:49 AM

how long have you had him? the sad thing is most registeries don't know or recognize all the colors so they will call him to what they think he looks like. i'm not sure with his papers but i THINK you could change it.

equiniphile 07-13-2010 11:52 AM

If you mail the registry copies of color testing if you ever did that, they would almost guarenteed have to change it upon request unless he's ever had a foal when he wasn't gelded yet....then they might not change it.

lilkitty90 07-13-2010 11:56 AM

I'm willing to bet he COULD be Palomino as Champagnes have pink skin as well and the Hazel green eyes along with freckling along the eyes and nose and mouth. and he doesn't seem to have that, maybe he's just a palomino without the bright white mane and tail?

LoverofHorses 07-13-2010 11:57 AM

Wow! It's hard to believe we've had him for 7 months now! So maybe isn't That recent. LOL! How would you go about getting a genetic test?