The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Senior Feed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/senior-feed-59639/)

rosethorn 07-13-2010 11:25 AM

Senior Feed

I have a 21 year old National Show Horse. I am looking in to moving him because of conditions in my barn and he is my first horse so I just found out that corn is bad to feed them and that is what my horse eats. My question is does anyone know of a good senior feed? I have looked online but I really don't know what to look for.

When looking at ingredients what should they be? I really don't know anything about horse feed. But after finding out that my horse isn't eating good food I want to switch him. Please help!

equiniphile 07-13-2010 11:28 AM

Nutrena Equine Senior is the BEST. You may also want to try beet pulp if he's losing weight, but if not, try Nutrena Equine Senior: Nutrena: Products - Horses - Life Design - Life Design Senior. It is 14% protein so it may provide for some higher energy than he's used to depending on what he's on now.

rosethorn 07-13-2010 11:32 AM

He isn't skinny. He actually could loose a few!!!! Thanks for the suggestion. Have you ever heard of Dumor?

equiniphile 07-13-2010 11:33 AM

I've heard of Dumor Hoof Supplement.....

equiniphile 07-13-2010 11:34 AM

Looked up the Dumor Feed and found this discussion on it. It doesn't seem to cater to seniors: Dumor feed - Horse Forums (HGS)

rosethorn 07-13-2010 11:40 AM

I found it online. They have a senior formula. I will have to see what I can afford to buy.

Peggysue 07-13-2010 03:54 PM

The best senoir hands down is Triple Crown Senior, Progressive senoir is a good one too...

watch your tags and make sure they list actual ingredients NOT products... you want a good solid form of nutrition as well

if he isn't a hard keeper I would probably go with a ration balancer nad add in some beet pulp and alfalfa pellets for calories IF needed