The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Negotiating A Price (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/negotiating-price-59644/)

EventingIsLovee 07-13-2010 12:23 PM

Negotiating A Price

There is a wonderful looking American Warmblood pinto for sale that I inquired in. He is $15,000 which is a couple thousand dollars out of our price range, but his price is negotiable. His trainer, Corinne Ashton had asked me for some more info about my background with riding and who I trained with and what shows I've been to. So I told her all about myself, and her answer was that she thinks I should indeed come see the horse. So she gave me his owner's email to set up a time to see him. After I go see him and if I really like him and want him, how would I go about negotiating his price down to somewhere between $12k-$13k? Any and all suggestions are appreciated! (:

payette 07-13-2010 01:11 PM

Well, you can always offer a little lower than you want to pay and then haggle back and forth, or you can just state the amount you are prepared to pay and explain that it really isn't particularly negotiable, making sure to note the reasons why you would be an excellent new owner for the horse. Good luck!

EventingIsLovee 07-13-2010 01:22 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. Just looking for the best way to do it!

Speed Racer 07-13-2010 01:22 PM

If the owner says her price is negotiable, then it is.

If you're truly serious about wanting the horse after you've seen and ridden him, offering her 85% of her asking price is considered normal.

So, a horse priced at $15,000.00 would be $12,750.00 at 85%. You could go to $13,000.00, which would be 87%.

Offering less than 85% of the asking price may offend the owner. If you can afford $13,000.00, I'd say offer that to her if you want the horse.

Of course, all of this is contingent upon the fact that you think the horse is worth at least 85% of the owner's asking price.

EventingIsLovee 07-13-2010 01:32 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. So my dad and I can offer a little lower than what we would be preparing to pay, and then continue to negotiate from there. I've heard different stories about people dropping the price way more than expected. One story I heard was that someone went to see a $10,000 horse, and their budget was $4000, but they really loved the horse and it was a nice home, so they dropped the price to $4000. And another story I heard once was that a $15000 horse was looked at and the person looking at the horse actually wanted it for free because of their lack of money. But they absolutely loved the horse and he was given to them free. (That probably wouldn't happen with very many people though.)

Speed Racer 07-13-2010 04:01 PM

Well, unless the owner is in desperate financial difficulty and just wants the horse off the feed bill, it's unlikely they're willing to drastically drop the price or give away the animal.

I got my lovely young TB for free, but he needed to be let down and retrained. Which cost me a boatload of money.

So, you're either going to pay up front for something already trained and ready to go, or you'll pay for it in the long run when the animal needs to be trained for the discipline in which you ride.

Either way, there's really no such thing as a 'free' horse. :wink:

EventingIsLovee 07-13-2010 04:06 PM

Haha, this is true

shmurmer4 07-13-2010 08:01 PM

No lower than 85% offer is reasonable, the worst thing they can do is say, "no."

If someone offers me roughly below that, I would be offended, and I would then raise the price. :)

EventingIsLovee 07-13-2010 08:16 PM

Okay so I can offer maybe 11,000 and if they don't accept, then raise it to the price that they will accept.

alexischristina 07-14-2010 03:52 PM

No, I don't think you should offer below 12 or 13,000 to begin with... Like has been said, if you offer too low to start the seller could get offended, and then chances of you getting a lower price isn't as likely.