The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Thickness of a pad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/thickness-pad-5966/)

Chicalove 02-10-2008 11:21 PM

Thickness of a pad?

How thick should a western saddle pad be? Is 1 inch a good thickness? More? Less?

tim 02-10-2008 11:23 PM

It's not really set in stone. Depends on what it's made of and how the saddle fits.

Still most pads are fine for any horse and saddle. Just don't use a blanket without an under-pad, they can pinch.

kitten_Val 02-11-2008 07:09 AM

I use 1'' fleece.

Vidaloco 02-11-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim
It's not really set in stone. Depends on what it's made of and how the saddle fits.

Still most pads are fine for any horse and saddle. Just don't use a blanket without an under-pad, they can pinch.

I think some horses are a little more sensitive than others. I have tried tacky pads and felt on mine and she has a hizzy fit. She likes her fluffy fleece :wink: The thicker the pad the more you lose the close contact too.

FGRanch 02-11-2008 02:09 PM

I ride with a one inch pad and a very thin blanket under to prevent pinching and wear of my expensive pad.

Chicalove 02-12-2008 10:42 PM

I use pretty thick pads on my horses, but never really thought about if a thicker pad can be bothersome to them, which is why I asked you guys. I really like the look of those Navajo pads, but they're are too thin, and the thicker ones aren't as common.

jazzyrider 02-12-2008 11:50 PM

yes it would all depend on how the saddle fits. a saddle that fits perfectly can have something as thin as a sheet under them (if you ever wanted to put a sheet on a horse that is lol) or you can have something more standard. my dressage saddle blankets are quite thin and allow closer contact with my horse, unless im using my sheepskin. it just depends on the fit of your saddle and sometimes on what your horse wants :D

Harlee rides horses 02-13-2008 08:16 AM

It all really depends. If you have an older horse, your going to need more support on your pad. The younger, healthier, the less you have to do with padding.