The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Sketch-a-Day (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/sketch-day-59698/)

Equusketch 07-14-2010 12:53 AM

Sketch-a-Day

2 Attachment(s)
I just want to thank kayhmk for such a brilliant idea!!!!

I officially began my "sketch a day" project last night. I bought a 75 sheet sketch book and a few cheap sets of graphite, colored pencil and sketch pens with the hopes of doing one sketch a day for 75 days. Whatever inspires me, that's what I'll draw (which will consist primarily of horses I am sure...lol).

I just feel like I am suffering from commission burn out at the moment. I haven't been terribly happy with my last couple commissions and the pressure is really getting to me. Not that I won't take commissions right now, but I think I will cease to advertise for a while.

After 2 days, I already feel more enlightened with my artwork, especially tonight's piece which I will share in a moment. I am not planning to spend more than 30 minutes on each piece, though I am sure some will go over my time limit, while others will be more rough. I am just going to go with my heart and draw what I want how I want and perhaps rekindle some of the passion I have had for making money for my drawings.

Without further ado, I submit for your viewing pleasure, the first two installments of the "sketch-a-Day" project:

7/12/10- Quick sketch of the mare Lola I have been riding, an easy subject to start with

7/13/10- eye study of my friend's horse Nova. I used construction tape to form the borders of the drawing. I love the effects I got from doing this. Not only does it have the illusion of looking matted, but I enjoyed working on a smaller scale than I am used to. Stay tuned for more sketches like this.

equiniphile 07-14-2010 01:27 AM

Very good! That's a neat idea, I would love to attempt that if I had more time lol!

AnnaLover 07-14-2010 01:35 AM

So you're asking for pics? :D
http://i50.tinypic.com/apfr76.jpg
Even though it's bad quality cell pic, I love it because it shows how long her mane has gotten:
http://i30.tinypic.com/1xzzg1.jpg

cakemom 07-14-2010 02:05 AM

Really nice! I'm gonna have to get one of you talented people to do a drawing for Sarah for Christmas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidji 07-14-2010 09:49 AM

Only a 30 minute sketch?? Whew, I'm jealous, it took me an hour to draw just an outline of a horse.

kayhmk 07-14-2010 01:47 PM

Wow, great stuff! So soft... Especially Lola. They look very finished for only 30 minute sketches: how big is your book?
Keep it up, waiting to see your progression!

Equusketch 07-14-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayhmk (Post 690958)
Wow, great stuff! So soft... Especially Lola. They look very finished for only 30 minute sketches: how big is your book?
Keep it up, waiting to see your progression!

My book is 9 x 12 inches. The eye sketch probably took me more like 45 minutes to do and it was about 5 x 6 ish inches. I swore I would only do rough sketches and not do any blending at all, but the perfectionist in me still wants to make them look like finished pieces. Oh well. At this point I am not trying to "force" anything. I just want to let the pieces come together as I see fit...lol.

juniormylove 07-14-2010 06:50 PM

*sigh* I love how your "rough sketches" are better than my "real" drawings. -_-

I shall keep tuned to this, I love seeing your work and one a day? YAY!

Equusketch 07-15-2010 02:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
7/14/10- I bought a cheapo set of crayola colored pencils, but I have to admit, I fell in love with them. I measured this sketch out to 5 x 7 inches. This is a horse I personally know who always jumps around with her tongue sticking out, even with a figure eight nose band! I just couldn't resist drawing this...lol. Oh yeah, and this did take me almost 2 hours to complete, so clearly not quite a "quick" sketch, but that's colored pencil for you.

Gidji 07-15-2010 04:59 AM

Oh goodness :) I love,love,love your work. Did I mention I love it?