The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Replacing the old with the new (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/replacing-old-new-5970/)

StatedOtherwise 02-11-2008 04:11 AM

Replacing the old with the new

Hi, i am looking to find a new horse for my little sister Chloe, she is extremely interested in horses she has been taking lessons for the last year but she didnt want a new pony or horse until she had finished her first year of pony club.
Since she has finished now, she is very keen on getting this particular horse.
Pics:
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/3101_50382_1_1.jpg
Name: Fancy feet
Breed: Welsh Cob
Color: Chestnut and white
Birth Date: 01/01/1997
Markings: sabino
Height: 12.1 hh
Registry: N/A

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/3101_50382_2_1.jpg

This mare is a great mount for an advanced beginner. has shown Dressage SS and hunter hacks. Started over courses needs a refesher. AA quality Bred To cremello welsh standing at 13.2 hands .Welsh papers

Do you think this horse could be ok for my 8 yo sister?
It has previously been owned by a 9yo so yer

tell me what you guys think

Kyani 02-11-2008 08:04 AM

That's a welsh pony, not a welsh cob - I'd vote section B? But I could be wrong.

Otherwise she looks like a lovely little pony! Not the best example of a welsh but very pretty nonetheless and nice confo. Without knowing more about your sister or the pony I can't really say more, but it seems a nice match.

You say she is bred? Do you want a foal too? :?

JustDressageIt 02-11-2008 10:33 AM

Doesn't have the best conformation, but not the worst either. Wouldn't expect her to do GREAT big things, but looks good enough for a kid.
Just a few things:
- "ridden by a 9 year old girl" doesn't really mean anything unless you know the girl's history - did she start riding before she could walk, or did she just recently start riding?
- The mare is bred - do you really want to deal with a foal? I certainly wouldn't want to buy a mare in foal for my daughter (when I have one haha). Miracle of birth or not, kids that young don't understand that they can't ride their pony for a couple months AT LEAST and otherwise need special care and attention until weaning.. and what if something happens?
- Will she be showing in any certain discipline? If it's hunter or dressage, a paint-colored pony can be either an asset, or your downfall... judges seem to either love 'em or hate 'em.

Just a few points I thought I'd bring up. She is very cute and I would consider her for a training/breeding program, or to add to a school, but not as an 8 year old's first pony, I don't think. She is 11, so should be quiet enough for a kid, but there are some factors that I don't like about her.

Best of luck deciding!

Stepher 02-11-2008 10:35 AM

She looks really nice, the only way to tell if your sister could handle her would be to try her.
If she is in foal, dont forget you wont be able to ride her much this summer and if you do, she wouldnt be able to be shown...

Cheval 02-11-2008 12:26 PM

I agree with JustDressageIt. She doesn't really have the best conformation.
The main thing that concerns me, is do you want a foal? They are a huge responsability, and also it would mean that your sister probaly couldn't ride her for another 6 plus months (or whenever you wean your horses).
Also, I don't know how tall your sister is but she could out grow her very, very fast. 9-10 year olds is when people grow a lot, usally.
I'm not sure what you think of this, but the mare is wearing a stud chain in the 2nd picture. Sometimes it could mean she's a bit "hard to handle" on the ground.
I suggest no, but it's your choice.

JustDressageIt 02-11-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheval
I'm not sure what you think of this, but the mare is wearing a stud chain in the 2nd picture. Sometimes it could mean she's a bit "hard to handle" on the ground

Very good point. I hadn't noticed! The fact that the chain is on top of the nost makes me pause as well.
Another thing to watch for in Paint-colored horses especially is (as disgusting as it sounds) a pink sphincter - tests have shown that horses with a pink you-know-what can have higher instances of cancer in that area. Just something to watch for.
She is a cute girl, and if you decide to buy her, I wish you the best, I'm just offering my personal opinion :)
Keep us updated!