The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   barrel racing exercises!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-exercises-59736/)

Frankiee 07-14-2010 01:48 PM

barrel racing exercises!!!!

I'm running out of ideas of barrel exercisses! :/ I like to change it up alot to keep my horse responsive and attentive. I would love to hear about the exercises you guys use. thx!! :)

Frankiee 07-14-2010 03:46 PM

anybody !!??
like it can be anything.. just whatever you do to help your horse with barrels!

BarrelRacer86 07-14-2010 04:46 PM

well it would help if you said what you already did. But the excercises I do any pretty much just the common ones; side passing, rollbacks, figure eights, stopping, long trotting, and flexing,

SorrelHorse 07-14-2010 05:08 PM

Reining. Working cow. Basically everything besides the barrel pattern. If I do actually decide to practice barrels in particular, I work on making tight turns on a flat line. Ou pasture has a long dirt road that's like a track. I set up three barrels in a line down them and lope to the first one, circle all the way and then transition to a differant gait (whatever you want to do) and continue in the same one.

A lot of times I will run to the barrel and mak them stop right next to it. Yeah, you aren't always gonna turn. No anticipation.

Figure eights with a flying change. I lope big figure eights around the barrels and practice leads changes that way.

Back to working cow. But don't use a cow or anything. Lope or trot in a straight line, sit back and say "hey" then make them turn and lope the other way.

Yeah. I am a firm believer in barrel horses as reiners first :D
Posted via Mobile Device

corinowalk 07-14-2010 05:16 PM

I love the straight line with the barrels thing. I use it as a progressive game with Nico...trot to the first one, come around that barrel in a trot and cue a big lope, canter around and cue a gallop...ride that last one like your last barrel and then ask to bring it down to a lope...and then to a trot.

I love when my horse is totally focused, best way to get that is to throw some totally unexpected things his way. Tons of transitions get him up and under himself. Sudden turns (to him, not me!) are a great way to get his focus.

Like sorrel, I love using 'spin and runs' as a tool. Instead of "hey" I tell him 'whoa-turn'...i started doing this in the round pen and its actually a lot of fun. Get him going on a nice flat stretch...pick a spot and when you reach it lay your heel on him and say 'hey' or 'whoa-turn!' and expect a 180 turn and a lope off.

Long sloping canters are great for stamina and are a great way to relax...

Frankiee 07-14-2010 06:54 PM

thanks you guys !!!! = )

Spastic_Dove 07-14-2010 08:02 PM

Dressage.

xEquestrianx 07-17-2010 06:25 PM

I do lots of circles, figure 8's, flying changes, rolbacks. Basically anything to get her in shape and keep body control.

peace love and paints 07-21-2010 06:59 PM

i do figure eights, hills up and down. lunging, long runs. hope that helps some im taking others advice as well :)

jtmdah 07-22-2010 12:27 AM

I do a LOT of flexing. Both in the saddle and on the ground. I usually use an O-ring snaffle and work completely on controlling the horses body.

Since I also do poles, I've also weaved through the pole and then run to a barrel to turn. I've also set up a barrel parallel to the pole pattern and turn alternately. Works to de-spook as well.