The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Price of a Training Eventer (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/price-training-eventer-59782/)

EventingIsLovee 07-15-2010 01:27 AM

Price of a Training Eventer

Normally, what price range would a typical training level eventer be for sale? I just want to know whether or not I'd be spending too much for a horse that might be over priced.

My Beau 07-15-2010 09:39 AM

Well, it depends how successful the horse is, of course.

My trainer just sold her solid training Clyder x TB for $20,000. His only downfall is he's tough in the dressage ring. He'll do it, but it takes a stronger rider. But if you can place in dressage you'll finish in the ribbons because he never ever stops.

I've seen made training horses go for up to 35,000, but they have the potential to move on to the upper levels. I've also seen novice horses who are ready to move up to training (just haven't officially run over a course) sell for as little as 6,000.

It depends on a lot of things other than the horse's competition level. Also depends if the horse market in your area is thriving at the moment.

MIEventer 07-15-2010 09:59 AM

First, you need to get a thorough Vet Examination done, to ensure that the horse is sound or will be sound in the future. Xrays, Ultrasounds - and then go from there with price.

My MIL always says "A horse is only as worth as the fool who'll pay."

This economy is pretty rough, I know horses who are being given away. My Coach is always being offered Eventers for free, horses who are Advanced and Intermediate because friends of her in Kentucky cannot keep them.

People are getting OTTB's for dirt cheap if not free. I was just offered a TB Gelding for free, 11 years old jumping 3'6".

You need to take a step back, find someone educated and experienced in the field to help you look, to help you negotiate and to help you find that horse that you want, to Event with. There are many out there, just be smart about it.

Don't look at horses online, I never do. Go to local barns, go to trainers, go to fellow Eventers and ask around. You'd be surprised what you could find.

EventingIsLovee 07-15-2010 01:13 PM

Thanks guys! At the moment, my family isn't being very much affected by the economy, so we are able to spend money on a good horse. I have asked many people around me if they know of many horses for sale, and some know of a few, but I haven't come across any free ones.

equineeventer3390 07-16-2010 12:13 AM

Have you checked your eventing area's site? Ours has a huge horse classifieds section. And like the others said it depends. I got my training eventer for 9,000. He had some minor issues that I had to learn to ride. But once I did he was perfect. And my sister's was almost 30,000. But he's about to go prelim and is just a dream to ride.

StormyBlues 07-16-2010 09:29 PM

It's all about who you buy from too. My friend bought his horse for 60,000 from Phillip Dutton. That's also going to be his advanced level horse. My horse was a fair bit (in the teens), but he's going to take me to Prelim. If you arn't in a big horse area (New England, Flordia, Virgina, Texas, California, Kentucky) then the prices won't be as steep. But I agree with MIE. Find an experiacned person. They know the horses for sale and they'll match you up right.

EventingIsLovee 07-17-2010 06:02 PM

I am in New England, so it looks like costs here are a little overpriced on some horses. So far, I have set up 9 appointments to see horses, of which I have already seen 5. I also have to set up 3 others. I just definitely want to get the right horse, considering the prices on certain ones. And when I narrow it down to 2 or 3 horses that I really like, then I will go ride them again and bring my trainer with me, and she will help me decide if it's the right one, and if it's worth the price.