The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Hmmm what should I do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/hmmm-what-should-i-do-59814/)

TheRoughrider21 07-15-2010 02:17 PM

Hmmm what should I do?

3 Attachment(s)
So i want your opinions. I want to know whether you guys think I should grow Lakota's mane out, roach it, or cut it like they do on a Fjord...cause that's kinda how it looks now. Here's some pictures of what his mane is doing right now. Any suggestions would be great! =)

lilruffian 07-15-2010 02:35 PM

Personally, i would leave it to grow.. If not, then roach it because it doesn't look thick anough to just cut it like a fjord's. It might look silly. You could also try thinning it, or put a mane-tamer on to make it all fall to one side.

Zeke 07-15-2010 02:36 PM

I personally rather see a horse with a nice longish mane that is trained to just one side rather then flopping all over the place. I'm also not a huge fan of roached paints for some reason, but thats just me haha.

equiniphile 07-15-2010 02:47 PM

Let it grow long and forget about roaching it until you've made sure you don't like it long ;-)

TheRoughrider21 07-15-2010 02:53 PM

The problem is, I love how it looks right now. It gives him character and it shows off his neck, which I get many compliments on. But then when I braid it, after a while the braids start sticking up. =/

Lovehorsesandrunning 07-16-2010 08:03 PM

Grow (: it will look soooooooooooo pretty!

ridergirl23 07-16-2010 08:14 PM

i love it now! lol. maybe lookon the enternet and find braids that dont look funny when they are in the very top/middle of the neck? lol. i love it! haha

thejessiefox 07-16-2010 11:56 PM

I show APHA, and my best friend roaches all of her horses manes. Personally, I would do it to my filly's as well, but she has a flaxen mane and tail and during the summer it looks pretty against her chestnut coat. Roaching is definitely becoming popular in breed circuits, though. Easy to maintain :) Also looks very crisp. Just be sure to go through weekly or every two weeks and trim it down again with clippers.

On The Bright Side 07-18-2010 12:35 AM

I think you should let it grow, unless you do shows or anything! Braiding a long mane is really hard to do.

flamingauburnmustang 07-18-2010 12:25 PM

I think roached would look really awesome on your boy, because it will show his nice thick neck. But either way would look nice. :smile: