The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Breeches (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/breeches-59839/)

Pro 07-15-2010 06:54 PM

Breeches

I need to buy a pair of breeches. But I have some questions...

For all around riding lessons small shows... English pleasure, Jumping, and possibly dressage, and to get my riding levels on what color should I get.

Light Tan, White, Sand, black...?

Maybe sand, with black belt, boots, etc. Or light tan is what I normally see...

How about natural with everything else black? http://www.doversaddlery.com/kerrits...X1-35298/cn/2/

What color of shirt?

Also, how do I measure for them. My waist is a 29 1/2. I think. And I have a friends breeches that fit perfect and the waist is a 25, but they are stretchy (SCHOU EQUESTRIAN Size 34 is what it says)...

I'm so confused:?

Oh, and my heights like 5'3 or 5'4 I think...

ridergirl23 07-15-2010 07:02 PM

I would check you local dressage show rules first... because around here you are ONLY allowed white breeches.... but only proffesionals use white breeches in jumping... haha. so I would check the local dressage show rules. it might be worht it to buy two pairs.
:)

Pro 07-15-2010 07:16 PM

Ok, so if I were to get a white pair for dressage, what would I need for everything else. Thanks:)

Pro 07-15-2010 07:55 PM

How about:

Dover Saddlery | KerritsŪ Eco Riding Tight . (natural)

With: (everything else black)

Dover Saddlery | Dublin Easy-Care Half Chaps.

Dover Saddlery | Classic Raised Belt .

Dover Saddlery | Ladies' Equi-Star Synthetic AW Zip Paddock Boot.

With: (White... or would that look funny?)

Dover Saddlery | Romfh CoolMax Short Sleeve Dressage Show Shirt .

For an all around english outfit hows it look? Does the whole look not work well...? I'm NOT english, so I could really use some honest opinions. I dont want it to look funny, or not be right for what I'm doing.

I just need to figure out sizing now.

kitten_Val 07-15-2010 09:46 PM

Black for schooling is the best IMO. They go dirty SO fast that my tan pair after 30 mins of messing with horses look like I wear it for a week non-stop. :shock:

Just a bit of advice. If you are short on money go to Dover --> Closeouts. They have bunch of nice ones there (like say http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=LC-35636A). I got my last pair of Devon Air breeches there and they were half-price (or may be even little more).

Pro 07-15-2010 10:59 PM

^^Thanks.

Saskia 07-16-2010 02:41 PM

In Australia for PC and such everyone wears beige. Even in hacking I think they do. I can't really remember but in my mind its beige. I think its only in the upper levels they start wearing white?

When I ever competed I had beige pants with a black jacket, black boots and black tack, and a black helmet. Black is a marvellous colour (well shade if you want to be particular) because its harder to stain than white, or beige or any of those colours. I always have black everything, saddle blankets, headcollars, horse and rider boots. Also, things always come in black, and if you pick like a shade of green then you'll forever be trying to match it and never succeeding, where as black is always just black.

I'd go with beige breeches, but see what the standard is in your area.

boxer 07-18-2010 03:45 AM

I was going to say what Saskia said, here in Aus you generally compete in beige until you are at the higher levels, check your the rules for dressage in your area as they vary, here you only need white once you get up to medium level I think. Some dressage clubs have rules against using synthetic half-chaps or boots too (which sucks) I know in Aus they only allow leather ones.

ridingismylife2 07-18-2010 05:00 PM

I personally like beige breeches the most ( like the ones I'm wearing in my avi).
Beige and black go wel together :)

But check what your local rules say. :D