The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Sport boots or no? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/sport-boots-no-59869/)

lperc 07-16-2010 01:39 AM

Sport boots or no?

Hopefully I put this in the right category but I guess we'll see!

I compete in local shows (with reining being my main focus), team sortings, and barrel racing. I'm not insanely competitive or anything but I like to be decently competitive wherever I go:-)

My problem is that there are times when my horse will really slide well when she stops, but immediately after she doesn't want to slide again. I recently went to a clinic and the clinician said that she's burning her hocks when she stops (BTW, this is not the first time I've heard this about my horse). How fast does the horse have to be going/how far do they need to slide for this to be a concern?

I'm considering buying the Pro's Choice SMB II sport boots for her (they seem to be the most highly rated), but I want to make sure that it's a legitimate investment before I do. I've put boots on her before, but it's been a while since I've put boots on her hind end. When I put boots on her front legs, it seems to me like she's more inclined to cross over when she's spinning, side-passing, etc. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I'm just imagining it. But hey, it makes me feel better right?:-P

At any rate, I just need some general advice, opinions, or help from anyone!

Also, just in case this is helpful, she's a 15.5H QH mare. She's really broad-chested and just generally a BIG mare. She's never been terribly athletic (not due to being in bad shape, she's just a little klutzy), but I know for a fact that she can do some pretty awesome slides when she tries.

Thanks again for any help!!

TKButtermilk 07-16-2010 03:11 AM

Rather than buying a full set of boots why don't you get a pair of skid boots? They're specifically designed to protect their legs during sliding stops. However if you do buy pro boots I'd really recommend the elites over the SMB II they form to the leg much better and aren't nearly as bulky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 07-16-2010 03:17 AM

For the disciplines you do I HIGHLY recommend investing in some pro choice boots for the front (all work wonderfully but I like elites best as well) and a quality pair of skid boots for the back. In the long run the money spent now could prevent serious injury in such athletic sports.
Posted via Mobile Device

lperc 07-16-2010 04:23 AM

Thanks for the help. Any brands you'd recommend for skid boots? Also, just out of curiosity, what exactly is the difference between sport boots and skid boots?

TKButtermilk 07-16-2010 04:36 AM

Sport boots wrap around the entire leg providing both protection and support. They can be used in almost every discipline. Skid boots wrap around only the fetlock and they just protect against injuries caused by stopping, like what seems to be happening to your horse causing her not to want to slide again. Pro choice actually has some venTECH skid boots that provide support and protect from burns so you get the best of both worlds(:
VenTECH Slide-Tec Skid Boots - WESTERN - Sports Medicine Boots - Skid Boots - Splint Boots - Horse
Hope that helps(:
Posted via Mobile Device

lperc 07-16-2010 04:42 AM

OK thank you for your help! =]