The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   So I decided to pick up some Graphite... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/so-i-decided-pick-up-some-59880/)

speedy da fish 07-16-2010 05:03 AM

So I decided to pick up some Graphite...

2 Attachment(s)
Some rough sketches I did yesterday. Haven't drawn anything in years and never drawn a horse. The first one I did (not shown-too big) was out of proportion, nah, that was no good! But the two that followed are not too bad.

I copy from photos, but with both of these I have changed markings. The pinto wasn't originally pinto but I think he looked good that way :)

What do you guys think?

speedy da fish 07-16-2010 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another one from today

Equusketch 07-16-2010 03:49 PM

I think for your first time drawing horses amd using graphite pencils you are off to a VERY good start. I love how bold you are already with your darker tones. Kepp looking at the photos and maybe defining the facial features as you get more practice. I think your proportions are pretty good as well. Can't wait to t see more drawings from you!

speedy da fish 07-17-2010 07:19 AM

Thank you. my problem is when I draw horses from different angles they can look like drawings... or cartoons, I dont know why! lol, I need to establish my own style I think. It will come.

speedy da fish 07-25-2010 02:25 PM

here are some more

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36286

First body shot
Attachment 36287

First in colour!
Attachment 36288

I will get a better picture of the colour one :)

paintluver 07-26-2010 03:28 PM

I love the body shot one.

brighteyes08 07-27-2010 12:25 PM

drawing is a skill that comes with practice, most artists have been drawing for years and years, which is why their work is so great. I'm not going to lie when I say that your work is lacking, but you will get there and I'm interested in seeing your progress. Don't be afraid to use your pencil, put in lots of shading.. and a tip for shading like you did in your body shot one, you can take either your finger or a q tip and rub it over the parts you have shaded so you cant see the pencil lines.

I hope you don't take it offensive.. just trying to motivate you to keep going.

speedy da fish 07-27-2010 03:43 PM

Its ok, thanks for the advice. I know about the pencil line thing but it only works to a certain extent with HB! and my camera is too good it pics up everything lol!