The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-meat-would-you-eat-59881/)

Shalani 07-16-2010 05:47 AM

Horse Meat.... Would you eat it ?

In Australia we do not generally eat horse meat , although we do export it to other countries for consumption.

I am interested in everyone's OP on this topic.

Perth butcher Vince Garreffa began selling horse meat at his store on Tuesday and is vowing to continue, despite receiving death threats from animal liberationists.

Would you eat horse ? & Why?

I guess I could eat it..... It would take some getting used too.
I eat cow & roo , horse should be no different . I wouldn't be eating my own horses lol . We ate our own cows on our farm ( back in the day) .

So why is the thought of eating horse seems a lil bit wrong .

AztecBaby 07-16-2010 05:56 AM

I would but only if I knew the animals had been intentionally raised for slaughter. Not crippled auction horses.

Shalani 07-16-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AztecBaby (Post 692759)
I would but only if I knew the animals had been intentionally raised for slaughter. Not crippled auction horses.

Just knowing that they had a good easy life before they ended up on the plate.
I see the point there .
If there became a market for it, could we maybe see some of the neglected skinny horses normally sold at auction being put to pasture and fed up at least enjoying their last few months . Before being slaughtered .

touchy topic eh :-|

White Foot 07-16-2010 06:14 AM

I wouldn't eat it, however I'm not against horse slaughter for meat (as long as it's in a HUMANE manner). The only reason why we think it shouldn't be done is because it's taboo. But what is taboo to us is something completely normal in another culture.

AztecBaby 07-16-2010 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shalani (Post 692762)
Just knowing that they had a good easy life before they ended up on the plate.
I see the point there .
If there became a market for it, could we maybe see some of the neglected skinny horses normally sold at auction being put to pasture and fed up at least enjoying their last few months . Before being slaughtered .

touchy topic eh :-|

Yep, thats about it.

You would hope so.. hope being underlined.

ThatNinjaHorse 07-16-2010 06:45 AM

I read about that in HorseDeals gallery. Apparently they want to target certain ethnicities that are more accustomed to eating horses, it said they had previously been buying it from pet shops...
I dont see a problem with it being sold for consumption in Aus, thousands of horses are already slaughtered here for overseas consumption so it doesnt really make a difference slaughter-wise.
I wouldnt eat it though, i suppose just because im not used to the idea. I actually dont eat meats like duck, veal, turkey, quail, all those etc, meats other than the regular cow/pig/chicken, just because ive never eaten it growing up and i guess i just stick to what im used to. And i'd never try it because ive owned horses and it'd just be iww..

I really cant see the average person buying horse meat. I dont think its going to become heaps popular.

kmacdougall 07-16-2010 07:21 AM

I'm reeeally picky so it would have to be prepared really well. It seems like it would take some getting used to. Also, this may be a figment of my imagination, but I think someone once told me it was very tough. And I hate tough meat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alwaysbehind 07-16-2010 07:31 AM

Most certainly.

Mickey4793 07-16-2010 08:03 AM

I'm not against slaughter but,
I personally don't eat much meat due to taste preference, and I imagine horse to taste tough and stringy.

GreyRay 07-16-2010 08:49 AM

Any meat can be tough, it depends on how much work the animal has done in its life time. Thats why slaughter animals are prefered to move as little as possible. And im sure that most horses slaughtered for food today have had some sort of regular exercise plan in their life.

I dont think I would eat horse... Unless I had too! I have however eaten Bear, Gator, Deer, Goat ect. And I hear dog is a fine meal, Mt. Lion it stringy(well cats in general). And snakes are tasty lol...

people eating horses is not axactly the most shocking thing around here! Someone slaughtered a belgian to feed their dogs, and someone else ran out of food over winter, and slaughtered one of their own belgians.
Posted via Mobile Device