The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what is going on with her frog!!!??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-going-her-frog-59932/)

TupeloHoney 07-16-2010 08:44 PM

what is going on with her frog!!!???

my horse injured the bulb of her heel about 3 weeks ago. its been wrapped and the only way I can wrap it involves running the wrap under the bottom of her hoof.... now her frog that has been under the wrap has developed thrush which im treating with thrush buster but it also looks funny im not quite sure how to describe it it looks almost like the frog is turning into little hairs and I can pull the outside edges of it off it is very soft and east to pull off. Ive never seen anything like this before and I dont have a picture but it literally looks like the edges of the frogs are stringy its not hairs growing on the frog it is the actual frog that looks like this. any Ideas at all im sorry i cannot describe it any better and all i can think to do is treat it with thrush treatement as well.

Shalani 07-16-2010 08:51 PM

Without a photo all I can suggest is try applying ACV 2 times a day if it is bacteria of fungal it should clear up. If not I would ask a vet to take a look.

TupeloHoney 07-16-2010 08:56 PM

Im going to try to get a photo tomorrow when I rewrap her foot thanks!

Chella 07-16-2010 08:59 PM

What is wrong with the bulb? By wrapping the frog up you are making it moist and warm and welcoming fungus. thus the thrush. Could you leave it unwrapped and let air get in there and dry it up? Frogs will fall/peel off.

TupeloHoney 07-16-2010 09:14 PM

she sliced it open somehow its not exactly the bulb but above her cornet band (not interfeering with the hoof or cornet band). its getting close to being able to be unwrapped but the vet said not just yet and I hadnt noticed this problem a few days ago. Her bandage gets changed every day but It still stays moist im sure. Trust me I will be unwrapping it to allow it to dry out as soon as possible but we are still at the stages of worrying about proud flesh and so I was told to keep a pressure wrap on it. Basically every afternoon I unwrap it wash it off and let it dry while she eats her dinner then apply animax and rewrap her foot.

Chella 07-16-2010 09:32 PM

I am not saying to ignore the vets ---however they told me to wrap a awful cut that was to large to stitch. I did it stayed moist and icky for 1 1/2 weeks. I took off the wrap and put wonder dust on it by Farnum ( 7 dollars a bottle) it went from oozy icky 5 inch gash to a 3 inch dry cut overnight , not kidding and with in 2 days it was almost healed. Just a thought..

Chella 07-16-2010 09:35 PM

I was worried about proud flesh too. It healed but with a scar. It was a nasty cut they cut the flesh off because he lost some of it and there was to big of a gab to stretch it and sew it. It was hanging there and they cut it off with scissors! ugh.

TupeloHoney 07-16-2010 09:39 PM

yea Ive been considering leaving it unwrapped for a few days to see how it heals but I first have to wait for her new bell boots to come in. they are already orderd and sposed to get here friday. Im not comfortable leaving it unwrapped without her bell boots because its exactly where she would step if she happend to overreach and she would rip it wide open. she tore up her old one to shreds when she cut her foot and then the other one fell off (they were aincent and needed to be replaced anyway)I feel like leaving it unwrapped with bell boots on would protect it enough from her back feet and from flies but allow air flow so it could dry.

Chella 07-16-2010 09:44 PM

Thats a good idea. Darn horses thought they were supposed to be healthy as a horse:)

TupeloHoney 07-16-2010 10:08 PM

I just saw your other post YUCK! im glad she didnt have anything that needed to be cut off!