The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Mounting Block (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/mounting-block-59939/)

mandiemayus 07-16-2010 09:46 PM

Mounting Block

So my horse doesn't like the mounting block. I get him positioned up to it and then we i'm about to get on he moves his back end away. I have worked with going up and down the block and waving my hand so he gets use to me being behind him and within 20 mins or so usually settles...Has anyone else had trouble with this and can suggest some tips to get him more comfortable to it? He is fine when I get on..just doesn't like not being able to see me.

Much appreciated!

MIEventer 07-16-2010 10:09 PM

I would just spend alot of time with him and the mounting block. Acclimate him to it as best as you can, while remaining patient and persistant.

Even when you aren't riding, bring him over to it and make him stand. The moment he moves, put him back where he was. The moment he moves again, put him back to where he was. Keep persistant and eventually he will learn to stand quietly.

Lots of praise. Lots of pats and strokes.

Then start climbing up on it. Bang it, kick it, do what you want to get him adjusted to the noise it makes and to you moving up it and down it.

The moment he moves, put him back where he was and start the process again.

Eventually, you will beable to stand on the mounting block without him moving. When you do get to the point of being able to walk up onto the block without him moving, stroke his neck, his ears, his head, his back and let him know that it's ok when us moronic humans like to do weird things like this.

kitten_Val 07-16-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandiemayus (Post 693472)
So my horse doesn't like the mounting block. I get him positioned up to it and then we i'm about to get on he moves his back end away. I have worked with going up and down the block and waving my hand so he gets use to me being behind him and within 20 mins or so usually settles...Has anyone else had trouble with this and can suggest some tips to get him more comfortable to it? He is fine when I get on..just doesn't like not being able to see me.

Much appreciated!

That makes me wonder... How BIG is the block (or how short are you)? :lol:

If my horse fluctuates from the block... Well, I back her up if she moves forward, I ask her to move forward if she backs up, or I ask to move her butt if she moves on side (by lightly tapping it with the whip). If she does it again - I do again, and again. Till she waits for me. Although I must admit they are usually pretty patient about me climbing on. If it's THAT bad in your case, get a helper for couple times and practice to get on/off from the block with the helper holding the horse.

abbyshamrock 07-24-2010 11:02 AM

I have always had this problem with my mare! Whenever I got the mounting block over on her left side she would always back up and turn the opposite direction.

The thing I did to fix this problem is I had her in the arena on the rail in a corner so that her butt was back on the wall and her right side was as well. I then grabbed the mounting block and put it on her left side. Now sometimes she would bolt forward and start walking off. That's when I grabbed the reins and pulled her back. She eventually stopped and I mounted up.

After a couple times of doing this with my mare, she quit doing it and now I can mount up with no problem!!

I hope this helps. It really helped with me :)

mandiemayus 07-25-2010 01:11 PM

I have been working with the trainer. We are using a smaller stepping stool and countering his movements. For example if he backs up one step..I move him forward one step. I also run up and down the mounting block and pull on his stirrups and use my hand to gently pat his body while i'm on it.. Also if he is really bad we take the stool and slightly push it into him and continue to let him move until he decides to stop then we try to remount. After a couple days, he is mounting no problem from either side so Im extremely happy!